Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Daniel, I have a Gray Market machine cat 312 (7DK01786) And…

Customer Question
Hi Daniel , I have a...
Hi Daniel ,
I have a Gray Market machine cat 312 (7DK01786) And on my monitor I have two icons in the bottom right hand corner powertrain Voltage …. and display error .. im guessing that the display error is related to the voltage … just not really sure where to start here
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/21/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician
Hi it is Dan. I usually try to avoid gray market machines for the simple fact is they were built for another country and the controller software and some of the parts are not interchangeable with the US specification machines. And a lot of cases it turns into a nightmare trying to figure out what schematics to follow with a US comparable machine or even parts diagrams. Please take a photo of the monitor panel and the icons you are referring to. Upload the photos here so I can see which monitor panel this machine has as well as the icons you are referring to.
If the ignition is on and you are not getting any LEDs like shown in that picture, be sure to check all fuses and relays as well as power and ground to that monitor panel. If the monitor panel has power and ground but is acting like shown in those pictures where the LEDs are not coming up, it's an indication that that monitor panel is dead and in need a replacement.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dan when you turn the ignition on all the LEDs lite up with everything in the monitor once the machine is running those are the two icons that come up and it seems to have no control over the hydraulic pump so the pump is like in a wide open state

These two indicators are listed in order below as follows: This means there is an error or fault detected and potential need for recalibration as well after repairs are made and the fault is identified or repaired. On the right-hand console behind it there should be a couple of switches in order to bypass the controller to put the machine and bypass mode. However the first thing you want to do is verify your batteries and charging system check out okay so that you can confirm that your electrical system has sufficient voltage and there are no voltage supply issues. If this all checks out okay, you will then want to identify any error , event ,or fault codes that might be logged within the controller and resolve any issues. I would try to connect with Caterpillar electronic technician to see if it will communicate with the machine controller.

(13) Controller alarm indicator. (14) Monitor alarm indicator.

I would be concerned about software compatibility but it's worth a shot to see if you can connect Caterpillar electronic technician to it and communicate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Perfect I'll check the charging system and get back to you ..... Thank you
If there are no problems found with my initial suggestions, either find somebody that has access to Caterpillar electronic technician diagnostic software or you will need to have a shop plug into it that has the software in order to see if the machine will communicate with the diagnostic software.