Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

259D Cat skid loader, loader works, starts and runs, Have a…

Customer Question
259D Cat skid loader...

259D Cat skid loader, loader works, starts and runs, Have a a yellow engine alarm will not reset and a flashing triangle yellow alarm that does reset. Parking brake will not clear, and the machine will not move.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

If someone can give me the right answer have no problem paying for the advice that WORKS,,, not so that do not work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/18/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

You may have two issues. The Engine Condition Indicator in AMBER may mean the air filter is becoming plugged or the water separator has become plugged.

The flashing Driver Alert may mean the DPF needs a Regeneration.

BUT, since it will not move, it may mean the speed sensor on one of the drive motors is not working properly and needs repair or replacement.

If you have the Advanced Color display, you can view the diagnostic codes on the monitor. Without this display, you will need the CAT ET service tool to view the faults. ( A call to a service tech will be the most common way .)

Just in case you don't have the Owners manual, below are the details for these lights and their meanings.

Engine Condition Indicator (Last icon of second row.)

This alert will activate when there is a problem which requires operator attention.

Note: Other alert indicators that light or the gauges may help investigate the cause of any problems.

There are three levels of severity for this indicator:

Level 1: If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. This alert is for the air cleaner indicator. Stop the machine and service the air cleaner.

Level 2: If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Change your operation or perform the indicated maintenance.

Level 3: If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and stop the engine.

If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) - Drain.

If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

Driver Alert (Third icon on first row.)

This alert indicator will activate when there is a problem which requires operator attention.

Note: Machines equipped with EU Stage V Emission Controls will also use this alert indicator to signal system failure. Refer to this Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration", "EU Stage V Emissions Control System" for applicable models and details.

There are three levels of severity for the indicator:

Level 1 - If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. Check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• Ensure that the machine has been adequately warmed up. Refer to Engine Starting for an explanation of the engine and ambient conditions that may trigger this.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) - Drain.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is AMBER, the filter is bypassing. Check that the hydraulic oil filter is not plugged. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Hydraulic System Oil Filter - Replace. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• Check for proper battery voltage and ensure that the alternator and wiring are good.

Level 2 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine at the earliest convenience and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) – Drain

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the machine is equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter, move the machine to a safe location and set the parking brake. If the engine RPM begins to rise shortly, allow the machine to complete a regeneration cycle. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration.

• If the SCR Warning alert indicator is flashing RED, check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level. See Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Fill. Refer to Selective Catalytic Reduction Warning System for an explanation of the various SCR warning levels.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensor wiring is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

Level 3 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer:

• Check the engine oil. See Operation Maintenance manual , Engine Oil level - Check . If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine oil filter may be plugged. See Engine Oil and Filter - Change. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine coolant temperature may be high. Clean the engine radiator, reduce the engine load, and allow the engine to cool. For more information refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Radiator Core - Clean.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is RED, the hydraulic oil temperature is high. Check the hydraulic oil level. Refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Hydraulic System Oil Level - Check. Clean the hydraulic oil cooler, reduce the hydraulic load, and allow the system to cool. See Radiator Core - Clean.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensors is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.
I will try them in the morning, l have changed air cleaner, all fuel filters, hydraulic filters. Cleaned sencer cable plugs.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

I will at my age we cannot be paying cat for help. Thanks for the help

I understand!

Glad I could help.

I hope to meet you sometime.

Thanks but, my day job also charges dealer prices. I am only here to fill in my spare time and make some pocket change to buy tools!

The guy I work for is in the $130 per hour range too.

If you ever get to Springfield Missouri area call, we have farm 35 miles from Springfield

Thanks, ***** *****!

What's kind of a good after market diagnosis tool to buy

I can't say. I use a licensed version of CAT ET. To my knowledge, all other readers will only see the engine J1939 codes. The proprietary Cat Data Link (CDL) is only viewed but CAT ET.

Maybe some others can see the CDL codes but, I haven't seen them.

The CAT ET from the dealer can be anywhere from $1000 to $5000 per year. It depends on the options needed.

I am trying to find what resistance reading i should have from the speed or wheel sencers

CAT doesn't publish that info as it is not a definitive number. You can compare the two channels and then check them against to other side. If you notice a huge difference, then that would make it suspect to causing the code. Normally, it is only one channel that will loose its signal and set a code.

Most often it is cause by wires rubbed together and shorted out.

See the image below for the wiring of the sensor.

What two do i need to check acrossOr do I refer to ground?

Check for 8 volts first. Supply is the positive lead, RTN is return for ground. You may compare to a chassis ground but, returns are sometimes floating grounds and do not connect to chassis ground.

Then check the signal and direction wires to return or ground.

A short is below 5 ohms on the circuit and open is 5000 or higher.

Then compare the readings to the opposite side.

Read the voltage on the machine side and then check the signal wires on the sensor side of the connections.

If no voltage is found with the key on, the issue is damage to the machine harness.

If the sensors do not show dead short or open circuits, the machine harness will need further testing.

Thank you sir.
I got a reading of 8v and 4.99 references to ground on the harness. On the sencer side nothing to groundOne pen was 8v the rest were 4.99vSame on both sides
On the harness readings

Still need to take ohm readings on the sensors but, read the return pin to the signal and direction pins.

The voltage readings are normal.

The plug doesn't have numbers or letters. The wires are 2 white, 1 yellow , 1 brown or purple going in to the plug

Not surprising with as many changes to these sensor that have been done. The schematics are rarely updated.

All connectors are numbered, it is just very small markings on the end by the wire holes.

I will get someone with younger eyes Monday morning
Thanks for all the help.

Oh yeah. He looks happy!