Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have questions about 98 cat d6r. 5LN01795. Nothing so far.

Have questions about 98...

Have questions about 98 cat d6r

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

5LN01795

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, nothing so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Transmission running hot and no rpm readings

9/7/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

Is the gauge always showing hot or does it gradually become hot?

What kind of work is this tractor performing? Does the transmission cool down if you place it in neutral and set the engine speed to half throttle?

Where are you reading the engine speed? This dash normally does not have RPM showing.

I am seeing this tractor only has the quad gauge group and the alert panel to the right.

Its heats up gradually and yes it cools down if you put in neutral at half throttle. 4 Guage cluster. If you push button on dash and select rpm it shows to be a zero all the time.I am pushing trees and dirt on my ranch. I know the speed sensor is bad and am trying to find its location. Also wanting to know if it could be the culprit.

Check the fan speed, check the air flow through the radiator, check for air gaps caused by missing shroud rubber. Verify the pressure cap on the radiator is good and then check coolant flow around the engine. Use a hand held temp gun, they are cheap now and at any auto parts store. Look for a 5 to 10 degree drop in temps from the suction point at the water pump vs. the outlet at the thermostat. It the temps are more than 10 degrees different, the radiator is not flowing and may be plugged or the thermostat is not opening fully. Since it will cool down, the water pump should be fine.

The speed sensor has not input to the engine control. It is only used by the transmission for shift point calculations.

The sensor is reading the accessory drive gear teeth for its speed reference.

See the image below for the sensor location.

Just a note about pushing, all torque converter drives were designed to have a reverse travel time equal to the forward push distance. This is the time needed to cool the system down before applying a load again. I often hear complaints from land clearing crews about this and I point out the machine must have some time to cool down. The old direct drive machines did not need this as much since they did not run high speed engines or torque converter drives. The engineers I have met with in the past have always pointed out the design was intended for construction industries first. High speeds with long pushes and reverse cooling time.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician