Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My S185 attachments are not working. They seem to start and…

Customer Question
My S185 attachments are...

My S185 attachments are not working. They seem to start and work for while but then just stop.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat s185 don't have the number handy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/7/2020
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 2 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, are you having any other problems such as drive problems or lift/tilt not working properly?

No everything else seem to be fineyou still there

Yes, I'm still here, bouncing around several sites. One other question, are you hearing three short beeps from the alarm when this happens?

I thought you leftno alarm that i heardI started when I used the backhoe attach

But does it do the same with other attachments?

I just started with the trencher I get no response from the controlsthe hand controls

Give me a minute.

I assume we're talking about a standard control machine, not AHC or SJC controls, standard control is two levers to control the drive, foot pedals to control lift/tilt, aux controlled by thumb switch on right drive handle. You're describing a curious problem indeed, one that isn't making sense to me at this point. Allow me to explain. First, same problem with more than one attachment, but you get no alarm from the machine and no response from the controls. That's where we have a problem. On Bobcat machines, the main controller (computer) controls everything electronic on that machine and that most certainly includes the aux hydraulic controls. The main controller sends a voltage signal to the thumb switch on right drive lever. The thumb switch is a Hall Effect switch. When you use the switch it sends a Hall Effect signal back to the main controller telling it you're using the thumb switch, the main controller then sends a Pulse Width Modulation signal to the aux coil on the main control valve to operate the function that you've selected, and that signal is proportional to the degree of how far you've moved the thumb switch off center. That's a lot of stuff going on from simply working a thumb switch, but my point, any glitch in any of this, a bad switch, a bad wire, any glitch, will be noticed by the main controller and it will sound three short beeps from the alarm alerting you that it's seeing something wrong. If you're not hearing those three short beeps, then that indicates it's not a problem with the electronics of the machine and must be something else. That something else is what I haven't figured out just yet.

Just to confirm the alarm is working, when you first power up the ignition, even before you start it, are you hearing one long beep from the alarm?

noI dont think so anywaywhat is AHC and SJC controlsI am going to check the alarm on start up

You need to confirm that. That alarm is the way the main controller communicates with you. If you're not hearing one long beep from the alarm when you first power up the machine then that's a problem. It could simply be the alarm itself is faulty and needs replacement, but it needs to work. When you first power up the machine the main controller does a system test which includes sounding the long beep of the alarm, that lets you know the alarm is working properly. AHC is Advanced Hand Controls, SJC is Selectable Joystick Controls, way more complicated setup compared to standard control machines.

no alarm when i power up. I have dual controls feet of hands.or handsI have triggers, thumb switches and two side controls also on each oneThe backhoe quit last night so this morning we used the trencher and it worked so we went back to the hoe and it work also, but is seemed to start sticking when i worked it harder. then it quit again after a short time. hook the trencher back up and it didn't work.

You need to get that alarm fixed, that's a problem. It's very likely that your main controller is seeing the problem, but if the alarm isn't working then you wouldn't know it. That alarm is critical is troubleshooting electrical problems. The way it works, in operation of the machine, any electrical fault that the main controller controls, which is pretty much everything electrical on that machine, it will alert you with those three short beeps. Right then, you don't do anything else, you don't shut it down, instead, immediately, you check for codes in the hour meter display. On a G series machine you push and hold down the headlight button, on K series machines you use the menu button on the left panel to scroll through the menu to the codes. But again, these codes only happen when you get the alert from the alarm, once you shut the machine down it wipes clean, Bobcat machines don't store active codes. Until you get that alarm working proper then I can't say we have a electrical (control) problem or a mechanical problem.

where is the alarm located

It's mounted in the left cab panel at the bottom of the panel.

ok i will check it out and start thereThank you

I'll await your reply at your convenience.