Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a JCB 214 loader / backhoe. Just recently purchased.

Customer Question
I have a JCB...

I have a JCB 214 loader / backhoe. Just recently purchased. Its a 1994, serial *****************. Having a transmission issue. Was running fine when gradually it stopped moving ,forward and reverse. Checked fluid(dipstick difficult to read). Added 3-4 quarts and machine resumed movement for about 15 minutes. Rechecked fluid, eetermined it to be low and added move fluid. Again it operated for 15 minutes. Repeated again and machine operated for 15-20 minutes. Didn't want to continue adding more and more and at present machine not moving F or R. Machine doesn't react when shuttle shifter moved from F to R and back. Wheels don't move when up on stabilizers and shifter engaged. Some wetness but doesn't appear to be excessive. Advice has been to change fluids and filters, check parking brake release, fuses. At present, as I said, machine doesn't "lurch" when shifted and I recall that previously it did but machine wouldn't move when accelerated.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Inclueed in message

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 5 days by:
9/11/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help you out with this. Changing the fluids and filters is not going to resolve your problem as the symptoms you describe lean towards an internal problem with the transmission that would require disassembly for inspection for repair or rebuild. Check your oil level and condition of the oil for any signs of burnt smell or dark and discolored oil that would flag an internal mechanical problem existing. Check inside your filter and suction screen for any signs of metal or debris that would confirm internal mechanical failure in your transmission that is going to require rebuild or replacement of the transmission. If this is clean, you are going to want to have your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within OEM specifications for your model and serial number machine. These pressure tests will also tell you if there is excessive internal leakage or other problems within the transmission. Verify that your shift controls are also functioning properly as well. Check your transmission neutralizer circuit for proper operation as the transmission neutralizer will allow the transmission to go to neutral when working in tight quarters loading trucks, etc. be sure that this function is not stuck engaged as well. Reply back with the results of all of these checks if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

I had read on one of the blogs a similar situation. It was solved by cleaning the cylindrical screen filter and changing the fluid and other filter. When I pulled the screen filter it was heavily clogged with what looked like a shredded fabric filter. I cleaned the bottom of t he transfer case and screen filter, changed the fluid and it has done the trick. Thankfully that was all it was.
Thanks for the update. You surely lucked out on this one. Glad to hear that you got this resolved.