Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a JD 550 dozer yr 1978, 6 way blade. I dont have serial…

Customer Question
Have a JD 550 dozer...
Have a JD 550 dozer yr 1978, 6 way blade. I dont have serial number with me. No internet where machine is. Issue is with right side steering clutch. left side adjusted no problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/5/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help you out with this. The steering clutch on one side is not functioning then unfortunately the only resolve is to replace the clutches and brakes for both sides in order to resolve the problem properly. Your clutches drive both sides consistently with spring pressure engaging the clutches. When you move your steering linkage, it disengages the clutch while at the same time engaging the brake on the disengaged clutch in order for the other track to power through the turn. Any time you have one side that is not engaging it is because one side is not driving either from a clutch that is slipping and has failed or a potential drive pinion gear or final drive gear failure. Drain the final drive assembly to look for metal in the oil that would flag an internal mechanical failure existing with the final drive and gears. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Both starring clutches took quite a bit of foot pressure to steer. Adjusted left according to book. Works fine. Right side adjustment did not help and actually got a bit worse. Pedal goes hard to floor. Will turn to right some but takes hard pressure. When pushing gravel dozer drives straight no veering to right or left under load.
It is time to replace your steering clutches and brakes if you find no problem with your final drive gearbox by following the instructions I provided.