Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I need to talk to a Cat backhoe expert. Serial # BNK02623.

I need to talk...

I need to talk to a Cat backhoe expert

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Serial # BNK02623

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Model 2002 CAT 430 D Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Boom wont swing

9/1/2020
Mechanic: Mikael, Construction and Road Equipment-expert replied 2 years ago
Mikael
Mikael, Construction and Road Equipment-expert

Hello

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is*****'d like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues. I know this can be frustrating. I'm a technician of all kind of industrial equipment and I will try to help you today.

Cool
Boom will not swing, and have constant flow from the valve to one of the swing cylinders

Have you replaced the cam roller?

What? this isnt an engine problem

t is either one of the cylinders or the valve. is what i would assume.

if you have the shop manual for the backhoe. see if there any sort of "check valves" or mechnizism in the valve body itself. maybe one is messed up. or perhaps something caught up in the valve body keeping a check valve open. check valve could be simply a spring and a little ball, to small flat plates, to actual flapping check valve.

the 2 cylinders for swing. see if they are plumbed in series or parallel. maybe being able to disconnect one cylinder. and use a hose to by pass it. might give detail of which cylinder might have went bad.

any chance did hyd oil get to low, and allowed air into the system. and you just have not ran things long enough to work the air out of the hoses and cylinders?

if you have shop manual see if you can find a plumbing schematic/diagram that shows direction fluid is suppose to flow in. perhaps you might be able to narrow something down.

I dont have the service manual, i took apart that valve and even removed the spool and all seems fine. i even checked the valves next to it. there is two carts in the valve i did not remove, ill remove them and see if i find anything. I was hoping you would have experience with this machine

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like a bad seal in the swing cylinder. Remove the cylinder and rebuild or take it to a hydraulic repair shop.

Ok, yeah i drained both cylinders and ran the machine and they did swing until it filled up with hydraulic fluid. seems like one of the cylinders lock up due to it bypassing internallyThanks

Good.

You are welcome

Please click accept to rate my service and leave a positive feedback as this is the only way I get compensated for my service.

Mikael