Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a420 tractor backhoe caterpillar 2004 ,it will start…

I have a420 tractor...

I have a420 tractor backhoe caterpillar 2004 ,it will start run for five seconds and blow the fuse p9 ,i hit the key and can't here the lift pump kick in it is electric , i changed the fuel solonoid on the injector pump ,still not working, it just quit initially idling

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I have a 420 tractor backhoe cat 2004 it quit while idling . changed the blownp9 fuse, ran for five seconds and blew the fuse and quit again changed the injector fuel solenoid no he

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't hear the electric lift pump running when i click on the ignition

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/28/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Have you remover the lift pump and checked it for operation and a short, it can be blowing the fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been having trouble it powering out and stalling under load when i releaee the accelarator and also it sputtered a bot i changed the filter , been srarting slow , is there any other simple stuff to check before i remove the pump?

Electric pump should be external and in a fuel line.. Are you getting fuel to the injection pump when cranking? If you do. fuel pump is working, no fuel flowing, pump is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It starts and runs then blows a fuse , must be getting fuelI changrd the lift pump three years agoElectrical ?P9 fuse are you a cat mechanic ?

I don't label myself as a Cat mechanic, I'm a diesel tech and have the diploma to prove it, I know diesel engines, Ir Is electrical and could be the electric fuel pump. Why did you replace it three years ago? Do you have the old one?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The old one is good , the fuel line was the issue , this pump i could hear running now i cannot but it still starts and then blows a fuse ,

Try the old pump!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The reason i asked cat , i have the manuals and schematics it was a p9 fuse , would it still start if the lift pump was seized

It takes little fuel to run a diesel engine, at start and no-load, if it gets any fuel it will start and idle, will not work under load!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
K thanks i was down to changing the pump after i changed the fuel solonoid on the injector pump , was hoping not to have to work in confined space

They don't make it easy! Sorry.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician