Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have air in the fuel lines of my JD310D after changing…

Customer Question
I have air in...

I have air in the fuel lines of my JD310D after changing fuel filter and lift pump. Can I bleed all the air by just loosening the return line on top of the injector pump or do I still need to crack each nozzle fitting?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1992 JD 310D S/N 791989

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it for now.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/27/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

You have to bleed up to the injector pump using the hand primer, then if it starts nothing else required, if it won't start, then loosen the high-pressure lines going to the nozzles, and crank the engine until fuel is squirting, then tighten the lines and start the engine.

Thanks Curtis. I have fuel to the injector pump and I had cracked the nozzle fittings. I was getting a lot of bubbles so am pretty sure air is my problem and I seem to have a lot of it. I have to keep charging my battery since it is taking so long and I thought it might be better to tighten the high pressure fittings at the nozzles and just loosen the return line to the injector but I'm not sure that is my best option.

You mentioned you replaced the transfer pump and other parts. The fuel lines up to the transfer pump have to be vacuum tight, if there is any leak before the transfer pump r will suck air into the system. Look for a vacuum leak before the transfer pump inlet.

Thanks Curtis, I will double check that. I do now notice smoke coming from my exhaust stake when i crank the engine so I may be starting to get fuel in but it still hasn't started. I don't get any fuel from the injector pump return line yet.One more thing. Thinking I had debris in my transfer pump inlet line from the tank, I blew back that line to make sure it was clear. I am getting fuel into my filter so I'm pretty sure that line is full of fuel again, but it probably was the cause of so much air in my lines now.

Did you replace the filter and check the fitting at the filter for debris? Restriction will cause air to be drawn into the system.

i did. All seems clear. It may just take time. I seem to now have fuel at the front nozzle so will work back one at a time from there

OK< but I think you have a leak before the transfer pump.

Hi Curtis. You may be correct and I will keep looking. I have succeeded in get it to start now but it only runs about 4-5 sec. and then shuts down. I can start it back up but again only runs about 4 sec.

Be sure the return line fitting in the injection pump cover is open and not plugged. And if ok, you can attach a test line at the transfer pump inlet, and run it back into the fuel tank filler opening or into a fuel container, bypassing the tank and lines up to the transfer pump. Everything after the transfer pump is pressure, and can't let air in.

Very interesting idea. Thank you and I will give that a try if I don't get it to keep running soon. Thank you.

OK>

Is it possible to back pressure the entire fuel circuit by forcing clean fuel back thought the injector return line, through the injector nozzle manifold and back through the injector pump? If so, would that be a way to purge any screens or small jets in the injector pump ?

No, that will not work.

Ok. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks for your help Curtis.

Let me know.

Will do

OK>

Hi Curtis. Here is where I'm at today using your advice and some from others. It turns out I have two problems. One was the new fuel pump I had put it. It was bad. I replaced it and now have good fuel flow. The second is the return line restricter on top of the injector pump. I had checked it and it seemed to be OK but after several folks assuming I have fuel to the nozzles and the solenoid is working, it was probably in the return line. I finally just removed it and the old girl kicked right off and gets full power. I cleaned the restrictor several times and it seems fine but when I put it in I get no power or it stalls and when I remove it it works just fine. Do I need that restrictor? I can't find anything to go bad in it so if I just replace it I expect to have the same problem. If I don't need it I will just take it out. Thanks Curtis.
Best Regards,
Ken

It is a check valve and may not be opening, the return needs to be open or it shuts down the injection pump. If it will not work with it, you can open the fitting and just have an open fitting, it will not hurt.

Ok great. Thank you

Thank you!