Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Komatsu w140 just installed new shift controller and now it…

Customer Question
Komatsu w140 just installed...

Komatsu w140 just installed new shift controller and now it wont go into gear. checked all the fuses, someone had pulled wiring harness off that goes from back of shift controller to solenoids on trans and other things. Is it possible that some connections are in the wrong location and thats why it wont go in gear?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Wb140ps-2 serial number 140f50001 and up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/20/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** to hear you're having these troubles with your backhoe loader. You should have a number after the model number for the dash machine. The serial number would be helpful as well. I would thoroughly inspect the wiring harness and connector pins for any corroded conductors or any damaged connector pins within the connectors that would cause an open circuit. Use a voltage tester to test for power on both sides of each one of your fuses with the ignition switch on probing the top two metal tabs of each fuse replacing any use with power only on one side. Swap your relays one at a time with a known good one for testing purposes. I would also look for any empty use locations in case the other technician or person left some fuses out or relays. I completely understand how frustrating it can be taking over a job that somebody else has already had their hands in not knowing what they have done. I would also take a thorough look at the wiring harness to see if any of the wires have been caught or if any of them are disconnected. Test for power going to the shift solenoids in each year position to see if you have power in and out of the new shift controller. Reply back with the results of these checks if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get you those numbers in a hour or so
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is wb140-2ps. Serial number is *****

Thank you for the updated information. I would perform the checks I initially suggested and follow up with those results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of that is okay. The guy who worked on it before unplugged all the stuff on the transmission so I was wondering if I could get a wiring diagram for that and the controller?

Click on the link below.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would happen if the transmission solenoids were backwards, like the reverse order?
Do you mean the wiring connected reverse order? The proper solenoids would not be powered for each gear position. It wouldn't determine much. But if somebody had it like that it could cause the wrong clutch has to be engaged at the same time.