Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Ditch Witch SK350. The tracks are new but keep

Customer Question
I have a Ditch...

I have a Ditch Witch SK350. The tracks are new but keep jumping off. Very frustrating

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

SK350 serial # 1Z2433 2005 model

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced tracks and replaced on roller under carriage that was bad. All others seemed fine sprocket and idler look ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dont think so

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/19/2020
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Bradley Martin
Hello my name is***** would replace the packing in the idler tensioners probably leaking by and causing the tracks to work loose and jump mp off
This machine does not have that. You tighten the tention idler using a bolt
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Is the track staying tight when it jumps off
Seems to yesIt's either not tight enough or sliding over sprocket
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Can you attach a picture of the sprocket
Machine is not with me right now. I can tomorrow
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
If the drive sprockets have rounded teeth instead of pointy teeth the drive sprockets might be your issue
Crap.... I hope not but I thought of that too. Those things are 1100 eachDon't know if any aftermarket
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Yeah they are pretty expensive I will look around and see if I can find some aftermarket
That would be greatI had no success whe I was looking for tracks
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Waiting on a quote from a aftermarket dealer I will let you know what I find out
Thank you
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Those drive sprockets are worn and may be causing issue do you have the track as tight as you can get it

No I did not want to go too tightManual says the spring should be 1/2" away from cut outs but that's impossible to seeYou think I should tighten them more
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Need to get them tighter I would tighten them until you can push in the middle about 1/4 inch

Ok will try that
Might be my imagination, but, it looks like those sprockets are not straight up and downThese tracks are literally 1 month old
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

They look pretty straight to me but its hard to tell not being there at the machine

Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Did the tracks tighten help any
far yes. I went out in driveway and did some donuts... So far so good.
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Good deal hopefully it stays that way
Have you heard from anyone aftermarket for those sprocketsI appreciate you staying with me through this process
Mechanic: Bradley Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Did not hear anything guess factory is the only people that are dealing with those sprockets it’s hard to find an 11 tooth sprocket and your welcome glad I could help