Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

297 cat multi terrain loader. I unhooked the bucket backed…

297 cat multi terrain...

297 cat multi terrain loader. I unhooked the bucket backed up and started forward with a bit of a turn to the left. suddenly the left side is dead and the park brake is on. the only way to turn the park brake off is to restart the machine and then it will go off , but only the right side drives. The right side will go forward or reverse but only about 2 feet and then the park brake comes on again. the park brake comes on but the loader continues to function.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

2008 cat 297c multiterrain loader.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't have the serial number right here

8/19/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine and parking brake engagement. This is a single ECM controlled machine. If you have the optional digital display panel to allow you to access fault codes and event codes, please post any fault codes that you have logged within the ECM history. If you do not have the optional digital display, Caterpillar electronic technician is going to be needed in order to access your fault codes. This is also going to allow you to see all of your safety interlock switch statuses in live time as well as run any calibrations necessary as well. There is always a possibility of a software update necessary to erase any previously learned behavior if no problems are found with your safety interlock circuit or wiring harness. Thoroughly inspect your wiring and connector pins within your parking brake circuit and going to the parking brake solenoid as well as within your safety interlock circuit for any type of corrosion or damage that would cause an open circuit or short. Reply back with the results of these checks as well as any fault codes you may have logged within the ECM memory if any further help is needed. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

The parking brake will engage when the engine is stopped. The parking brake will engage when the armrests are moved to the RAISED position. The parking brake will engage when the operator leaves the operator seat for a time. The parking brake will engage when the interlock override is activated. Note: If the switch for the Joystick Control Pattern is installed, select a pattern in order to release the parking brake.

I'll try to check in the morningOk Thanks for now

You're very welcome.

My machine seems basic and that it doesn't have a screen to display the codes. Does that make sense
The digital display is optional. Thank you for confirming yours does not have it. If you have any warning indicators on you would need the laptop with caterpillar electronic technician connected in order to access your fault codes as I mentioned in my response.
Dan, Technician