Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

How do you remove (to replace the seals) a track tensioner…

Second Opinion] How do...

Second Opinion] How do you remove (to replace the seals) a track tensioner on a Kubota kx-91-3 mini-excavator

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Kx91-3ss serial 30253

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I will fix it myself when I learn how to get TO the tensioner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Answered in 1 day by:
8/17/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with your machine track adjuster. Once you prop up the side that you are working on about 6 inches off the ground safely proper cribbing after lifting that side with the excavator bucket, you can then loosen the fitting to remove the track tension which will allow you remove the track on that side once you push the idler into the track frame gaining enough slack. If you do not have access to a track press split the track, and take a shortcut by removing about 4 to 5 trackpads at the front idler to allow you to lay the track chain over to the side allowing enough clearance to get the front idler assembly out beyond the track chain. Once you slide the idler assembly out of the track frame you can then disassemble the track adjuster assembly to inspect the piston and track adjuster components for any pitting where the sealing surfaces are. You will want to change any parts that you can catch a fingernail on where the seals go. Click on this link below for the complete parts breakdown of your adjuster assembly to use as reference. Reassembly is reverse procedure, you will need some pry bars as well as a potential come along and wasting devices such as a service truck or shop crane, or even another machine on site. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Dan, Technician