Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Komatsu D41S-3 (1986) The steering pedals are

Customer Question
I have a Komatsu...

I have a Komatsu D41S-3 (1986) The steering pedals are sticking and the right pedal will not depress at all. Thinking need to replace the break bands but unsure how and if anything else needs considering please? Many thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Serial number 6710

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

When machine is started with gear lever in neutral the machine moves but will change direction when gear level is shifted from forward to reverse.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/15/2020
Mechanic: Mikael, Construction and Road Equipment-expert replied 1 year ago
Mikael
Mikael, Construction and Road Equipment-expert

Hello

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is*****'d like to try and help. I am sorry that you are having issues. I know this can be frustrating. I'm a technician of all kind of industrial equipment and I will try to help you today.

You do realize the steering is a two fold operation? The two can play tricks if the clutches are not releasing, the brake band will not stop the drums and allow the dozer to turn. f you are having trouble with the steering, it may be the clutch piston seals leaking and allowing pressure drop at the clutches.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Komatsu D41S-3 1986. Floor & seat removed,we need to replace brake bands. How to proceed.

If you are certain t is only the bands that are worn, and you can no longer adjust them, you will be down that far into the clutch housing, you may want to do it all. There is no easy way to do this, you have to pull the ROPS, seat cowing, and floor and take all three covers off

After taking off the covers and inspected the bands which are worn and there is no adjustment left.

You will proceed by taking the linkage loose, spin it around the drum and pull it up. It will flex enough to slip up over the drum.

Please note that customers' satisfaction is my priority and rating my service will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up question you may have.
Thank you, Mikael

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Will get back to you as we proceed,if necessary.

Thank you.

I'll be expecting your response.