Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

1975 Yale GLC030 (GLC030 CDJUAE083) forklift with Mazda

engine. Alternator has 1 wire...
1975 Yale GLC030 (GLC030 CDJUAE083) forklift with Mazda engine. Alternator has 1 wire to the battery and spades for 2 wires. How can I tell if this alternator is internally regulated or supposed to have an external regulator? Also, of the small wires from the spades, how do I know what wire goes where?
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/24/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

The alternator is internally regulated, one of the two small posts is the field, it has to be energized when the key is turned on, to start the alternator charging. Second spade is relay, and is usually to wire to show if it is charging.

Thanks for your answer. Is the relay wire the same as the "sense" wire?

Not sure what sense wire would be.??

Sense wire is what tells the regulator what the battery voltage is, so it knows when it needs to make power. What does the relay wire do? Where is it connected?

Then it would be the sense wire, not relay.Does the alternator charge the battery?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Connected the wire labeled "L" (indicated on alternator's body) to the wire that goes to the warning lamp. I connected the other wire to the ignition switch (+ when the switch is on). Now, it charges and maintains 13.6V.