Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Caterpillar 420D backhoe after operating for a

Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Caterpillar 420D backhoe after operating for a while in refuses to take forward or reverse gear, however after awhile if i leave in in gear and start it again it goes into gear but won't move forward nor backwards. CAT 420D S/N: BLN05082

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/23/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having these troubles with this machine. You will want to determine whether or not this is an electrical problem between your shift controls and transmission control valve or an internal mechanical problem within your transmission. You will also want to check for proper operation of your transmission neutralizer circuit which allows you to work in close quarters near buildings or loading trucks. There should be a switch with a gear symbol to disable that function. Try disabling that function to see if this changes the symptoms you are experiencing. With the ignition switch in the on position, use a voltage tester to test for power on both sides of each one of your fuses replacing any fuse with power only on one side. This will also tell you if there is other electrical problems before the fuse panel if you find any circuits that do not have power on either side but the fuse is good. Swap your relays one at a time with a known good one for testing purposes. Check your parking brake circuit to be sure that it is functioning properly as well to allow the transmission to shift. If this all checks okay, test for power in and out of your transmission shift control in each gear position going to your transmission shift solenoids for a possible worn out shift control lever which is not uncommon. Thoroughly inspect the wiring harness between you shift control lever going to your transmission shift solenoids on the transmission. If you have to access your transmission, there is usually a section of your floor that is removable to access the top of your transmission and wiring harness, etc.. Verify your transmission oil level as well as its condition for any signs of dark or discolored oil, burnt smell, metal or debris within the filter and oil as well as your suction screen that would confirm or flag internal mechanical problems requiring disassembly of your transmission for further inspection for rebuild or repair. If all of this is clean, have your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within OEM specifications for your model and serial number service book. This will help further isolate whether or not you have excessive internal leakage or other internal problems causing low pressure or pressure to drop off within your transmission also requiring disassembly for repair and rebuild. Reply back with these results if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Hi Dan, Thank you for your suggestion . I will try your suggestion and return with the results
You're very welcome.
Dan, Technician
Hi Dan it seems like my problem is in the shift control. I have ordered a new one. once change will see what happens. Thank you for your assistance

Hello,I was just following up with you to see how you made out with this after replacing the shift lever and if you needed any further assistance?

Hi Dan, thank you for your assistance,replacing the shift lever did the trick.
Thank you for the update and that's great news. I am glad to hear that you got this resolved.