Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My question is I have a keto Excavator HD-450-se V series…

My question is I have...
My question is I have a keto Excavator HD-450-se V series with a four-cylinder turbo charged Mitsubishi diesel engine. It sat for almost a year at a repair shop and the guy never got to fixing a hydraulic problem after a year he finally got it fixed a week or so later I went to start it up and really bad blow by was coming out of the breather tube. I ran it for a little bit and shut it off the next day I ran it and it wasn’t near as bad with blow by. But now it’s doing it all the time if you run it about 10 hours it needs a gallon of oil any ideas before I think the worst case scenario.
7/23/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Is the oil thinned from fuel in the oil? Have you changed the oil and filter and gave it a new start? Does the engine run ok? Oil blowing out the breather is caused by high crankcase pressure, and is bad rings or piston, or worn valve guides.

I gave it an oil change probably about 200 hours ago give or take. It’s not oil coming out the breather it’s the burn smoke. And yes the motor runs very good.The oil doesn’t look like fuel mixing in it that I can tell it’s not thin Or smell like fuel I know what that’s like I had a dump truck that was getting fuel in the oil

You say it's not oil, but the engine is using an excessive amount of oil.? It is a turbo charged engine, is the turbo inlet to the manifold oily showing that the turbo seals are leaking?

I checked the turbo inlet to the manifold and there is no signs of any oily spots around it at all and I pulled both ends of the hose to the turbo and they are dry. I guess to explain it maybe a little better it just has an excessive amount of blow by constantly when you run the machine it’s a blackish smoke that smells funny like burning oil it’s always the same amount of blow by it doesn’t get worse or better just a constant flow of blackish burning oil smoke

I have seen bearing failure on crankshaft giving a smokey discharge from the crankcase breather and eventually leads up to a seized engine or worse. Take an oil sample and see if it comes back with high levels of beating material of steel/iron.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Ok that’s a good idea I figured it probably wasn’t going to b good eather way if it comes back ok I’ll get back to you thank you

OK>