Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

1974 caterpillar 941. Machine parked for 3 years, worked…

Hello Hello Mechanic's Assistant:...

Hello Hello

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1974 caterpillar 941

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, machine parked for 3 years, worked when parked. Machine runs, will not move, will not go into forward or reverse. All linkage free, brakes free,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Basically looking for a checklist of what could be sticking from sitting

7/17/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

941/951 POWER SHIFT TRANSMISSION Caterpillar

Testing And Adjusting

Usage:

Power Shift Transmission

When testing must be done in a closed area, activate the brakes and use blocks to prevent the machine from moving during the tests. Let only approved personnel on the machine. Keep other personnel off the machine and in view of the operator.

NOTE: All tests and adjustments must be made with the oil in the hydraulic control system at normal operating temperature. Be sure the linkage adjustments are correct before making any tests.

HYDRAULIC CONTROLS (FIRST SPEED FORWARD)
1. Body of the selector valve. 2. Oil filter. 3. Spool for speed selection. 4. Oil pump. 5. Spool for direction selection. 6. Relief valve for converter inlet. 7. Oil sump and screen. 8. Torque converter. 9. Body of the pressure control valve. 10. Load piston. 11. Modulating relief valve. 12. Oil cooler. 13. Orifice. 14. Lubrication relief valve. 15. Differential and safety valve. A. Pressure tap, P1, for the speed clutch. B. and C. Pressure taps for the oil pump. D. Pressure tap, P2, for the direction clutch. E. Pressure tap for the outlet from the torque converter. F. Pressure tap, P3, for the inlet to the torque converter. G. Pressure tap for lubrication.

Location Of The Pressure Taps & Transmission Testing

A. Speed clutch, P1. D. Direction clutch, P2. F. Inlet to the torque converter, P3. G. Lubrication.

B. and C. Oil pump.

E. Outlet from the torque converter.

7S4621 PRESSURE CONTROL VALVE
9. Body of the pressure control valve. 10. Load piston. 11. Modulating relief valve. 14. Lubrication relief valve. 15. Differential and safety valve. 16. Spacers.

3S9977 SELECTOR VALVE
1. Body of the selector valve. 3. Spool for speed selection. 5. Spool for direction selection. 6. Relief valve for converter inlet.

Linkage Adjustment For The Hydraulic Controls

LINKAGE FOR THE HYDRAULIC CONTROLS
1. Selector lever. 2. Lever for direction control. 3. Rod. 4. Lever for speed control. 5. Rod.

Do not make any adjustments to the linkage with the engine running.

1. Put lever (4) for speed control in the NEUTRAL (lever up) position.

2. Make an adjustment to rod (5) so selector lever (1) moves freely through the neutral opening in the shift guide.

3. Put selector lever (1) in the maximum FORWARD-NEUTRAL position in the shift guide.

4. Put lever (2) for direction control in the FORWARD (lever up) position.

5. Make an adjustment to rod (3) to fit.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this machine. Since this machine has been sitting for a while, there are multiple things that could be causing your problem. The information I posted above is to test your pressures in case there is excessive internal leakage within your converter or transmission as well is a potential pump problem. Your pump pressure should be around 310 psi. Make sure your linkage is adjusted evenly for your steering, verify all oil levels are topped off. I also recommend checking inside your filter and suction screen for any signs of metal or debris that would flag an internal mechanical failure exists requiring disassembly for further inspection for repair or rebuild of that component. If your linkage is okay and you have confirmed that there is no failure in the engine and torque converter, I would get some test gauges on this to confirm that your torque converter and transmission pressures check out okay. If this all checks out okay the disconnect can actually be either a potential problem in your bevel gear case or your steering clutches and brakes. If your steering clutches have failed, you will lose drive on the machine. It would be highly unlikely for both final drives to have failures so this is where I would start with your troubleshooting and follow up with those results if any further help is needed. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Thank you Dan, let me absorb your info and Ill be back tomorrow to follow up with additional questions or clarifications on what you've posted
Thanks!
Alan

Sounds good and you're very welcome.

Dan, Technician