Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I just bought a 1986 cat 416 backhoe loader. The stick will…

Customer Question
I just bought a...

I just bought a 1986 cat 416 backhoe loader . The stick will not come up to pull the boom up . Was working , but slow ,when I brought it home . have only had machine 3 days and only used loader which works fine . could not pick up hoe to use machine today.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I just bought a 1986 cat 416 backhoe loader , The stick will not come up to pull the boom up . Was working , but slow, when I brought it home, Have only had machine 3 days and only used loader which works fine . Could not pick up hoe to use machine today .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ,I think that is a place to start .

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/11/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this machine. If the problem is isolated just to one circuit function, go to the control valve block for that function and check the control valve spool for any damage or debris within the control valve spool as well as the relief valve cartridge and resolver network for that function. This is going to require some disassembly of the control valve pool and components to inspect for any scoring or damage as well as any damaged O-rings or debris that would cause that function to fail. Also pressure test the cylinder with shop there to confirm whether or not the cylinder is bypassing internally beyond the cylinder seals . It's a pleasure to help anyway I can .

HI Dan, First off, I am not good with computers , so this I more pain full than working on the machine! I have been around farm machinery and other hyd machines most of my life ,also am a tool and die maker , so this is just another in life . all other functions with control seem to work ok . I was thinking that the spool might be the problem too. I needed to check with some one to see if I was headed in the right direction . Hate to take things apart that I do not need to! It will be a few days before I get back to you . Thank you Mike

I completely understand Mike. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can. In most cases when it's isolated to one circuit only, the problem is most likely going to be found within that valve bank for that function.