Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Komatsu pc200lc-2 excavator. 1 track won’t turn and…

I have a Komatsu...

I have a Komatsu pc200lc-2 excavator. 1 track won’t turn and I could use some help to figure it out.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Ps200lc-2 is the model. Serial # 17397

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have purchased a set of pressure gauges to check to see if it is getting the correct pressure but I’m not really sure where to hook them up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

7/11/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this machine. If all other functions on the machine for your upper boom and bucket functions are operating normally but you only have problems with one track, drain your final drive gearbox to see if there is any chunks of metal or any indication that you have a final drive gearbox failure. If this checks out okay, check inside your return in tank hydraulic filter for fine metal or debris which would confirm a component failure has occurred which in this case would be likely the final drive motor. It will look like glitter in the oil and filter if present. If this is clean, nine times out of 10, Rotary manifold or in other terms swivel seals bypassing internally are the leading cause of travel problems on excavators as pressure bypasses internally within the manifold causing full pressure and flow not to reach the final drive motors. Resealing the Rotary manifold is actually part of troubleshooting as it takes less time to reseal the manifold as it would to block off and try to pressure test it.It is a common wear item.In order to test pressures on a travel circuit you would actually use a hydraulic tee and adapter in line to deadhead the hydraulic lines where they come out of the control valve to the Rotary manifold to verify you have the same pressure on both sides going to the Rotary manifold. If this all checks out okay, and you have also resealed your Rotary manifold but still have a travel problem, remove the rear cover for that final drive motor, disconnect the case drain low-pressure return line. Connect a hose from the drive motor case drain port and running into an empty 5 gallon bucket. Pin the track with a bucket pin or equivalent between the track chain and sprocket preventing track movement. You would then slowly engage that travel function with movement prevented and deadheading that circuit to monitor for case drain flow from that drive motor. You should see a low volume of oil coming from the case drain. If the oil comes out under high pressure or volume, that drive motor has failed and has excessive internal leakage. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Ok i think i am understanding you. This machine has propelle pumps is that the same as final drive motors? All other functions work. All oils looked clear but i did not empty them. I just let a little run out.

If you remove the in tank return filter element inside the top cover of the hydraulic tank being careful not to remove the suction strainer because you never want to remove a suction strainer with a full hydraulic tank of oil as it will allow all the contamination to go straight to the hydraulic pump. Check the return element for what looks like glitter in the oil. That return filter catches everything coming back to the tank.

Dan, Technician

Those are actually not pumps. Those are hydraulic motors. There is a difference between the two. A hydraulic pump supplies the oil while a hydraulic motor receives the oil flow to operate a particular function while in this case it is travel. Those hydraulic motors are connected to the gearbox or final drive gearbox. Your pumps are coupled to the engine. Those are the pumps on the machine. Your motors are your final drive motors that drive your tracks and you have a swing motor for swing at the base of the boom as well as a gearbox that that swing motor operates.

Thanks Dan I'll do that right now.Is the rotory manifold some thing I can rebuild myself? I've already rebuilt all of the hydrolic rams on this machine last winter.

If you rebuilt hydraulic cylinders, you should be able to do the Rotary manifold no problem. Sometimes you can cheat to prevent removing the whole Rotary manifold by removing the top hoses and the mounting bracket so you can tip it at an angle to help it clear the boom and any obstructions that are in the way from sliding the top section of the manifold off. Otherwise you are going to have to tag all the hoses and mark them for reassembly disconnecting the hoses both top and bottom of the manifold to remove it and then reseal it on the bench.

Dan, Technician

You could always check for excessive case drain pressure right away as well because you should never have high pressure on the case drain return port. That would condemn a drive motor right away. If you don't have excessive case drain pressure, reseal the Rotary manifold.

We tapped into a spot on the propel pump that showed pressure when the the lever was pushed for foward direction. The side that won't work had almost no pressure at idle, but went up to 60 kg when motor was reved up. With no movement. We checked the other side in the same place and it showed 35 kg pressure and the track was already moving with engine at idle. Showed 75kg with engine reved up.
I don't see an actual drain plug on the pump any where. That was why we tapped in where we did.
I'll look into a rebuild kit for what the book here calls a "swivel joint" I think it is the same thing as your rotory manifold.

Your swivel and Rotary manifold are the same thing. Those are the terms used in the industry.

Your case drain is not a drain plug. It is a return hose where all the return oil goes back to tank. It is called high terminology case drain because it is the hydraulic motor case drain back to tank or in other terms return. It is going to be the smaller low pressure hose. Some drive motors have two main pressure lines, a brake release, and a case drain return.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can tap a gage into that line. Thanks for your help. I'll shoot you a text if I get it hooked in.

It is not a pressure you test with a guage. My instructions to check for excessive case drain were as follows,

Connect a hose from the drive motor case drain port and running into an empty 5 gallon bucket. Pin the track with a bucket pin or equivalent between the track chain and sprocket preventing track movement. You would then slowly engage that travel function with movement prevented and deadheading that circuit to monitor for case drain flow from that drive motor. You should see a low volume of oil coming from the case drain. If the oil comes out under high pressure or volume, that drive motor has failed and has excessive internal leakage.

Dan, Technician
Hey Dan,
We finally got a chance today to check the drain today. With nothing running just removing the drain line we got alot of volume of oil.
Then we started the engine at idle removed the drain line and with noting actuated we got alot of oil under some pressure. I never tried actuating the propel pump. So does this mean i have a bad propel pump?I know it's Sunday so if you don't want to answer me until tomorrow I'm okay with that.

Thank you for the update. If you are 100% sure that this is the case drain hose and not one of your main pressure lines, then yes it is an indication of excessive internal linkage within that drive motor. Compare it to the opposite side travel motor after checking for the same on the other side.

i am 100% sure. We checked the other side too. No oil coming out of the other propel motor. It works fine.
I live outside of Lansing Michigan is there any place near me to send it to?

I am in New Hampshire so I'm not really familiar places in Michigan beyond doing a Google search. But yes if the other side has very little case drain, then you have your diagnosis. That drive motor is no good.

Thanks Dan for all your help.
One more question. I Just purchased a Komatsu P41 dozer and painted on the transmission fill tube it has 15w 40 written. Do people put engine oil in the transmission? I've only used hydrostatic transmission oil in all of my equipment.

You will need to open up a new question for the dozer. You can gladly request me for your new question. The site only credits the professional once per question thread.