Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have no hydraulics at all on a 2006 Cat 277B (MDH4477).

I have no hydraulics...

I have no hydraulics at all on a 2006 Cat 277B (MDH4477). The machine has been sitting for several months as I had to have a final drive rebuilt. I put the motor on yesterday and was bleeding lines. I moved the tractor forward and backward a couple of times and everything was working fine. then it just stopped. Hydraulic pump is still moving oil because I can hear it circulating in the tank. Park Brake releases and the solenoid in the left joystick engages, however, there's no pressure change at the joystick, like there normally is, and nothing hydraulic is working. No lights are flashing, everything is normal. I checked the relay's and they are both clicking, I didn't have a meter with me in the pasture to see what they were reading. The 10a hydraulic fuses in the box are good. I don't know what else to be looking at. Like I said, they just stopped working...period.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

7/7/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this machine. If all of your safety interlock switches and wiring as well as your other components within that circuit check out okay, you have lost all functions, it truly leans towards a possible pump drive coupling failure. The coupling could have failed in such a way that the pump may turn a little here and there but not enough to build pressure for any functions if it is slipping on the shaft or the splines have stripped. Remove your charge pump at the end of the main pumps, disable the fuel from starting at your fuel shut off, then crank the engine to see if the pumps are turning at engine RPM when cranking the engine over. Also check inside your hydraulic filter for any signs of fine metal or debris that looks like glitter in the oil and filter which would flag a hydrostatic pump or component failure has occurred. If all this is clean, you're going to want to get some test gauges and a flowmeter on this machine. I have a feeling that you may very well find a problem with the pump drive coupling. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Okay, thank you. I will begin working on this today

You are very welcome.

Hi Dan~
I just checked the shaft and splines on the charge pump. They look good as new. I was unable to actually crank the engine and look at the pump because I’m out here alone and, with the cab up, I’m unable to be in a position to see what’s going on. Here are a couple of things that I found though. Let me back up to the original issue, though, as this might tell you what happened. The bottom hose on the final drive was loosened a bit so that whatever air might have been in it could bleed out. Under pressure, the o ring gave way and oil went everywhere, of course. I replaced the o-ring and tightened everything back down thinking that the air was out, being as fluid came through that hose and it was full. What I think happened is that it sucked air into the line. Reason I say that is because when I released pressure on other fittings around the pump, the oil was frothy. Air released and it, eventually started coming out clear. Also...I can hear bubbling in the fluid tank. I don’t know how I can get the air out. Do you think that might be why it’s not building up enough pressure?
Thanks,
Lesthe filter is clean...no metal or anything like that...just a bunch of tiny bubbles. It was not full to the top so I topped it off and replaced it

Hi Les, the system should bleed itself out with the oil level full and even if you experienced a little bit of cavitation initially from not having the bulk of the air out of the system, it still should've come out of it. Usually with the engine off or fuel shut off disabled, you can either crack loose one of the lines and in some cases there is a plug or case drain that you can crack loose to bleed some arrow while cranking the engine over before allowing the engine to start. It is not the splines on the gear pump that is concerning. It is the pump drive coupling between the engine and the main pumps that usually fail and in some cases the couplings between the pumps. If no sign of glitter or pump and component failure is found in the oil, I think it's very important to see if you can get a helper out there to either confirm or condemn the theory of a pump drive coupling between the engine and hydraulic pumps. If there is any way you can get a remote start switch connected to the starter assembly which will give you remote access, I would attempt to do so shy of having a helper out there. And even if the pump turns a little bit you want to be sure that it's turning consistently at engine RPM when cranking over.

Okay, I will figure something out so we'll know for sureSorry this is taking so long...lol. Machine in the middle of pasture and I'm the Lone Ranger out here on this ranch...

If you can grab a remote start switch from your local auto parts store or if you have a momentary switch, you can make your own start switch with some wiring and some alligator clips to send 12 V to the starter solenoid signal wire or S terminal.

Dan, Technician