Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Cat 289c high flows lock the arm movement. I can go back…

Customer Question
My Cat 289c high flows...
My Cat 289c high flows lock the arm movement. I can go back and forward but can't move the arms up and down or tilt. I notice the machine works normally until I move the right joystick to the right.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/7/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

I am not sure I understand this problem. The C model is difficult to troubleshoot without using the CAT ET program but, I am not sure what you mean by high flow is causing this problem.

If you are pressing one of the rocker switches to active high flow, that may be the problem.

High flow is only triggered when you have an attachment that has a high flow connection in the electrical connection or a special jumper plug is used. Then activating the hydraulics, the pump can achieve high flow and the light should come on.

If you are pressing the bottom of the second button (from the rear) on the left side console, this is an override function that is designed to shut off the implement functions so external hand tools can be used.

If I am wrong, please explain in detail how this problem is happening and what you are doing when it does.

Please include the complete machine serial number with your reply.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

I need help. Forget about high-flow. I only mention just it in case it makes a difference in models.
Everything works ok until I move the Right joystick to the right. It can be move forward and reverse, but the right joystick movements won't respond until I turn off and back on the unit. Again I can move the right joystick to the left, back, and forward but as soon as I move it to the right, the problem comes back.

If you have the advanced monitor display, it can show some fault codes related to the controls. Machines without this monitor cannot and you will need the dealer to test the controls. Otherwise, all you can do it throw very expensive parts at it to find it was likely a harness connection.