Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a 370 hitachi excavator the thumb quit working we’ve…

Customer Question
We have a 370...

We have a 370 hitachi excavator the thumb quit working we’ve checked the fuses we changed the micro switch we changed the solenoids we tested for power at the control in the cab full power there tested power at solenoid we are getting a low power reading there any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

370 zaxis I don’t have the serial number on me I can get it tomorrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Forester

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/5/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with this machine. If you have full power at the control switch but low power at the solenoid, do a continuity and resistance check through the wiring harness going out to the solenoid from your control switch to see if you get a close to zero reading or if there is high resistance within the circuit indicating a wiring problem. Thoroughly inspect the wiring and connector pins for any type of corrosion or damage within the wiring harness. I also recommend doing an inspection of all ground connections as well. Be sure all grounds are clean and tight making good contact. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Thank you very much for your input and quick response we will try this tomorrow I’ll let you know how we make out
Sounds like a plan and you're very welcome.