Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1983 E110B excavator that barely turns. The tracks…

I have a 1983...

I have a 1983 E110B excavator that barely turns. The tracks do fine in forward and reverse, but when I try for only one track, or try for one track forward/the other track reverse, it won't turn more than a couple degrees or so, then they stop moving. It's as if it is weak. Also looking for an oil filter to fit it. Thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

E110B; 9HF01306

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that is all. Thanks.

7/4/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

This is a common issue for the EL series. You will need to reseal the hydraulic swivel (rotary joint). This is the component that passes the fluid from the control valve to the travel motors in the very center of the machine.

The seals fail with age and heat causing the oil to bypass in the joint. This issue is compounded in the EL series due to the design has the two-speed control next to a travel passage. When that seal fails, it can send oil and cause the travel motor to feel weak as it needs to be in low speed to have enough power to turn the machine.

All filters should be available at your CAT dealers and the seals to repair the rotary joint.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thank you very much!

You're Welcome!

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

A related question: Might you know the thread pattern for the top bolt hole in the unit that I would be pulling out to change the seals? I would like to obtain a forged eye-bolt to use in that bolt hole to hoist that unit up, and am trying to ascertain the right bolt dimensions in advance, as the equipment is not local to me right now. I have read that the unit I would be pulling out weighs 65-pounds - and using a hoist has been recommended by others. Thanks!

The four bolts on the outer cover and the two for the inside cap are M10X1.5 and are 25mm long.

Yes, the weight is correct.

Weight:64Lbs., 28.8426Kg