Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have 751 bobcat skid steer. It seems it runs on absolutely…

Customer Question
Have 751 bobcat skid...

Have 751 bobcat skid steer. It seems it runs on absolutely full fuel tank. The after short time seems like sucking air and stops. Is there fuel suck up rod in tank that could have dropped off. And we’re is fuel tank. Can’t seem to find.***@******.***. Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don’t have right now asking for friend. I am traveling to his farm next

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s the issue. Has Peugeot engine

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/3/2020
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 2 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Greetings, I haven't worked on a 751, but yes, every Bobcat I've ever worked on has a pick up tube inside the tank, it's very common for that tube to break off at the elbow where it goes in the top of the tank. Result, it will run when full but shut down not long after
Thank you. Can you fix it with taking motor out?Do you have to pull engine to put in new elbow?
I'll reply back in a while, still busy at the moment, but I'll be back

Ok, what a day, just now sitting down for the evening. Your 751, again, I haven't worked on one of those but I'm pretty sure they're pretty much the same thing as a 753. As for pulling the engine, I haven't found a Bobcat of any series that I couldn't replace that pickup tube and not have to remove the engine. Although, doing so on some models required a fair amount of choice swear words to do so. I've attached a diagram of a 751 C series machine, I don't know if that's what your machine is, s/n would help me a lot. Fuel pick up tube is items 10 through 17 on right side of page. It would be located in the area under the hydrostat drive pumps. Pick up and return lines look the same, both are an elbow fitted into a grommet of top of the tank, the pick up is on the right side, return on the left side. You have to pluck the elbow out of the grommet, then you'll most likely find the tube broken off. The tube is a special compound, can't recall the name, with a strainer screen with check ball at the end of it. The strainer screen prevents large debris getting into the line, has a check ball to prevent back flow, and give some weight to the tube to keep it at the bottom of the tank. In a pinch you can use some clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot, but you won't have the strainer screen to give it some weight, but it will get you by until you obtain the proper materials from Bobcat.

Thank you very much. Gives us great insite to the issue. Thank you for the great work you do.

My pleasure, I hope you get it sorted out, cheers.