Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a Lull 844C-42 that 1st & 2nd gears do not work but…

We have a Lull...

We have a Lull 844C-42 that 1st & 2nd gears do not work but gears 3 & 4 do

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Lull 844C-42 serial # SE1RP18-175

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are fixing ourselves but have only looked at a sevice manual online

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Frame tilt is out also

7/2/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your Tele handler shifting. First you want to check for power on both sides of all of your fuses replacing any fuse with power only on one side with the ignition switch in the on position. Swap your relays one at a time with a known good one for testing purposes. This will give you an initial health check of the electrical system as well as detect if there are any shorts or problems that could potentially create issues that would cause the symptoms you are experiencing. If all of this checks out good, verify your parking brake switch is working properly to allow the transmission to shift as well as the wiring to the parking brake switch. If this all checks okay, the most common cause on these machines is a worn-out control lever. They are exposed to the elements and from the time that machine starts running to the time it gets shut down, that lever is constantly being used. The contacts inside eventually fail. To confirm this, use a voltage tester to test for power going into your shift control and then for power going out when you select each gear position then to your transmission shift solenoids. This will help determine if there is a loss of power in your first and second-year positions. If for any reason you do have power out going to your shift solenoids but the transmission is not responding, test the resistance values of each of your solenoids as they should all be in range of one another. A solenoid that is out of range of the others, indicates a faulty solenoid. If all this checks good, check your oil level and condition. Look for any signs of metal or debris in your filter and oil that would confirm an internal mechanical failure existing that would require disassembly for further inspection and repair or rebuild of your transmission . If all this is clean ,you will want to have your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within OEM specifications for your model and serial number service book .If you have excessive internal leakage within your transmission or your clutches , the pressure test will show the drop of pressure when selecting those gears. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can .

Thank you. This should help us to locate the problem that is causing the issue. The other issue we are having is the frame tilt is not working. What would cause this to happen?
That is a completely separate problem with your frame tilt and should be on a separate request to keep different subject matter separated on the website as far as your frame tilt problem.
if you would like to continue to work with me on the frame till problem you can gladly request me as well when you post the question. Just keep in mind that my availability over this weekend is going to be spotty as I am away with family for the holiday weekend.
Dan, Technician