Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have another question on a separate issue with the same…

Customer Question
I have another question...

I have another question on a separate issue with the same machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Let me get you an Expert to help with that. Before I do, are there any other details you'd like me to pass on?

2004 John Deere 310 SG hydraulic issue

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 day by:
7/3/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

What type of other troubles are you having with this machine?

Anytime you're experiencing a hydraulic related issue with multiple functions you are going to want to want to check your suction screen and filters for any sign of metal or debris that would flag internal mechanical component problems or failures occurring that would require disassembly for further inspection for repair or rebuild as well as a complete system clean out before running with the new pump or component preventing cross-contamination. I recommend also having your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within factory specifications for your model and serial number service book. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can..

The issue occurred when I was running the machine. I was going some digging with the backhoe when suddenly the engine sounded as it was under very heavy strain. All functions on the backhoe worked as they should but the loader arms and bucket and stabilizers would not move up or down. It seems as if the hydraulics were dead headed. After I shut the machine off I looked under it and saw that the backhoe had it's own valve bank and the loader/bucket/stabilizers all ran on a separate valve bank. I let the machine sit for half hour, fired it up and have had no issue to date. Is there some sort of pressure relief valve or priority valve on this bank that could have either activated or got suck?
In the main control valve there will be a relief valve cartridges that control your pressures or actually they are set to maintain your pressures in the circuit.it's possible that there could have been some trash or debris that got caught up in the valve causing it to stick and malfunction. I would check in the filtersfor any sign of fine metal or debris that would flag a component failure that could be contaminating your system. It will look like glitter in the oil and filter if present. Definitely do this for an insurance policy because you would want to catch a component failure before it destroys other components in your system. You can remove and inspect your relief valve cartridges on the main control valve as well. If you click on this link below you will be able to access the complete John Deere parts catalog that you can use for reference for your model and serial number for component locations. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/