Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat 259d abruptly turned right when traveling. yellow

Cat 259d abruptly turned...

Cat 259d abruptly turned right when traveling. yellow diamond with exclamation point and beeper sounded after

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat0259DKFTL06717

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

NOTHING YET. PROBABLY WILL HAVE SOMEONE LOOK AT IT IF I CAN'T GET IT FIXED

6/28/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

This could be a sensor problem or a drive problem. If restarting the machine did not allow it to move, then it is a serious fault.

If you have a fault code showing on the display for speed sensor fault, you could inspect the wiring to see if it is damaged.

Usually, it is a damaged harness that causes this problem. The wires get pinched between the travel hose from the travel motor to the machine. If you raise the cab and trace the wires back from the connector and don't find any damage, then you will likely need the dealer to check the codes for you and maybe test the hydrostatic system for a fault.

the machine moves fine. just the yellow diamond and beeping. will this message happen for low hydraulic fluid?

Can you send me a picture of this light and the screen?

If I am looking at the same one you are describing the details are below for each level of warning.

3 - Driver Alert This alert indicator will activate when there is a problem that requires operator attention.

Note: Machines equipped with EU Stage V Emission Controls will also use this alert indicator to signal system failure. Refer to this Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration", "EU Stage V Emissions Control System" for applicable models and details.

Note: Other alert indicators that light or the gauges may help investigate the cause of any problems.

There are three levels of severity for the indicator:

Level 1 - If the alert indicator is on continuously, stop the machine at the earliest convenience. Check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• Ensure that the machine has been adequately warmed up. Refer to Engine Starting for an explanation of the engine and ambient conditions that may trigger this.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) - Drain.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is AMBER, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is AMBER, the filter is bypassing. Check that the hydraulic oil filter is not plugged. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Hydraulic System Oil Filter - Replace. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• Check for proper battery voltage and ensure that the alternator and wiring are good.

Level 2 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is no audible alarm, severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine at the earliest convenience and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, water may be present in the fuel. Drain the water from the fuel/water separator. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Fuel System Primary Filter (Water Separator) – Drain

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED and the maximum engine speed is reduced, the engine air filter may be restricted. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Engine Air Filter Primary Element - Clean/Replace.

• If the machine is equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter, move the machine to a safe location and set the parking brake. If the engine RPM begins to rise shortly, allow the machine to complete a regeneration cycle. For more information refer to "Operation Maintenance Manual" , Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration.

• If the SCR Warning alert indicator is flashing RED, check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid Level. See Diesel Exhaust Fluid - Fill. Refer to Selective Catalytic Reduction Warning System for an explanation of the various SCR warning levels.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensor wiring is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.

Level 3 - If the alert indicator is flashing and there is an audible alarm, injury to the operator or severe component damage could occur. Stop the machine immediately and check the following before consulting your Cat dealer:

• Check the engine oil. See Operation Maintenance manual , Engine Oil level - Check . If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine oil filter may be plugged. See Engine Oil and Filter - Change. See also Oil Filter - Inspect.

• If the Engine Condition alert indicator is RED, the engine coolant temperature may be high. Clean the engine radiator, reduce the engine load, and allow the engine to cool. For more information refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Radiator Core - Clean.

• If the Hydraulics alert indicator is RED, the hydraulic oil temperature is high. Check the hydraulic oil level. Refer to Operation Maintenance Manual , Hydraulic System Oil Level - Check. Clean the hydraulic oil cooler, reduce the hydraulic load, and allow the system to cool. See Radiator Core - Clean.

• A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensors is not damaged. Consult your Cat dealer for advanced troubleshooting support.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician