Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Skid steer Bobcat 753, 1995. Right side moves backwards just…

Skid steer Bobcat 753, 1995...
Skid steer Bobcat 753, 1995. Right side moves backwards just fine when stick is pulled back, but will not move forward when stick is pushed forward.
Left side functions fine in both directions.
All the bolt and nut connections from stick back to pump are tight. No leaks visible at travel motor or any associated lines.
Any ideas?
Thanks
6/19/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your skid steer. I would raise the operator's compartment and thoroughly inspect your linkage and controls any type of damage. If your controls check out okay, the problem is likely either within the pump control valve or the drive motor itself. Check inside your hydraulic filter for fine metal or debris that looks like glitter in the oil and filter which if found would confirm a pump or component failure occurring. If this is clean, I recommend having your flows and pressures tested to confirm whether or not they are within OEM specifications which will further confirm if there is a pump flow problem to one side of your hydrostatic drive system or if the drive motor itself has an internal problem. If pushing up against a loading dock or equivalent with the case drain hose disconnected and a hose from the case drain port of the drive motor run into an empty 5 gallon bucket, slowly engaged travel and watch the case drain pressure. Oil should come out under low volume or pressure. If it comes out under high pressure, that drive motor has excessive internal leakage and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. Be sure to compare both sides. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Great advice. Thanks
Any suggestions for gauges to purchase for testing??

There are some selections of hydraulic test gauges on Amazon as well as different places on the web. As long as you get a decent assortment with different pressures, you should be fine as you are still going to need to come up with some adapters once you have your gauges anyway which takes time to accumulate.

Dan, Technician