Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Case cx36b zts mini excavator right side track continues to…

Customer Question
Case cx36b zts mini excavator...
Case cx36b zts mini excavator right side track continues to fall off and seems to track slower than the other side replaced tracks recently and didn’t solve it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It is Dan. I will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family,etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated,for status, etc.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your excavator. Nine times out of 10, excavator travel problems are the result of failed Rotary manifold or in other terminology swivel seals within the Rotary manifold. The Rotary manifold has ports coming from your control valve to the manifold and then hoses from the lower part of the manifold out to your travel motors as well as your blade circuit if your machine has a blade. When the seals fail, pressure is allowed to bypass into the other ports or back to return causing a loss of flow and pressure within that circuit. Part of the troubleshooting process is to reseal the Rotary manifold. You can deadhead the pressure with a gauge from your control valve outlet for each track before the Rotary manifold to confirm whether or not you have good pressure on both sides and equal pressure. You can also swap hydraulic lines if there is enough extra coming out of the control valve going into the manifold to see if the problem switches sides. In either case, resealing the manifold is nine times out of 10 going to resolve your problem. If the problem still exists after resealing the manifold but you have confirmed good pressure and flow coming from your pumps and main control valve, all of your other excavator functions are working normally, the problem is most likely then going to be aiming towards your drive motor itself. The next step would be to check for excessive case drain pressure within the drive motor by a disconnecting the return line or case drain line, running a hose from that port into an empty 5 gallon pail. Pin the track between the track chain and sprocket to prevent track movement. Engage travel and you should get a very low volume of flow from the case drain port of the drive motor. If it comes out under high pressure, that drive motor is bad with excessive internal leakage and needs to be either rebuilt or replaced . It's a pleasure to help anyway I can .

Any chance for some sort of process sheet for resealing the manifold

That information on each model and serial number break will be found in your service manual for your model and serial number. You always reference your service books and parts books . Some experienced techs will do some jobs bases off of experience but will still need to reference the manuals for certain specs and information. Click on this link for a manual I found for under 15 dollars for download. There are other higher priced options available on this site I saw as well. they are a lot less expensive than the dealer paperback copy.

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/279526123-case-cx31b-cx36b-compact-hydraulic-excavator?a=516802

I actually purchase for like $500 all the books available

Thanks for the updated information. The rotary manifold or swivel by other terms is in the service book. You can also reference the parts catalog . During the process to make sure all of your seals and components are assembled in the right locations by referencing the parts book and part numbers when you have all your parts on hand. This is how the technicians do it at the dealerships when they have to on any job that is not second nature to them.

Here is a quick access site for the parts if you are on the go as well and dont have your parts book handy to use for reference.

https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::home

How about the trac falling of any ideas is actually opposite side

If the tracks are new, you are going to want to take a close look at all of your track rollers and idlers as well as your drive sprocket for any excessive wear or worn bearings, etc.. This all checks okay, you are going to want to verify your track adjuster and track tension to see if possibly the track is loosening causing it to come off. Another thing to check for is for worn rollers and idlers as I mentioned. When those other undercarriage components are worn excessively, it can cause the track to come off along with a faulty track adjuster.

Ok thanks
The other thing so with one side slower than the other it’s only one direction the other direction tracks at the same speed
Have the flows and pressures tested before the rotary manifold from the main control valve to see if they are the same for both sides forward and reverse. If so, the problems either going to be the rotary manifold seals or a problem within that drive motor potentially with the relief valves or excessive internal leakage within that drive itself. Run through all the checks that I initially suggested which will determine whether or not it is rotary manifold SEALS or a problem within your drive motor. Check for excessive case drain pressure as well.