Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1999 cat 236 armrest flashes and hydraulics will…

I have a 1999...

I have a 1999 cat 236 armrest flashes and hydraulics will not work. I checked seat switch door switch they are all working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

AA236 s/n 4yz03409

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes checked the door switch armrest switch and seat switch all are working fine continuity between them when activated

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I have the cab lifted and checking the connections

6/6/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

Are you still looking for help with this problem?

I have a wiring diagram and also have a door switch on this unit but do not see it in the diagram wondering if this could be the problem

Armrest indicator flashing means the Interlock System has a fault.

If the door switch was the problem, the only thing it should stop is the implement control and it would not flash the light.

Ok yes the armrest indicator is flashing. I have done the checks by running it and sitting on the seat and as soon as turn the park brake off the armrest flashes park brake is off

Follow the guide below to see how to troubleshoot this problem.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LjNUetLeYNe1PjHfLqylGD9_qS5oWKfW/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

K I will try that

Great. Glad I could help.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

I have no continuity between 24 and 68 on step 13 but my wire shows as P988-OR for contact 68 instead of G988-OR as per the instructionsI mean pin 24

The wire at pin 24 is P988 OR (orange) and goes to the implement work tool solenoid and the implement float detent coil.

The G988 is an error in the manual. I am sorry for the confusion, it catches me from time to time too.

I see the steps you mentioned in step 15. If you have not continuity, then you have a broken wire in the harness. Since the 975 white wire is a common, it connects to other circuits as well. It may be more practical to replace the harness were as a jumper wire could miss another circuit that needs the same common return.

You can try a jumper but, just be aware it could cause a different problem if you bypass the other common returns.

I would like to try and find the fault because I checked continuity between pin 68 on the interlock harness and pin 21 on connector 12 it was good so that part of the harness should be good correct? When you say it is common what other circuits does it branch out to because the only thing I see from the schematic is implement solenoid and transmission solenoid? Also where is the implement solenoid found?

975-A19 goes to splice (location D-7) then to 975-A38 to the detent coil, 975-A37 implement (work tool)pilot solenoid, and 975-A43 to the transmission (hydrostatic) pilot solenoid.

The splice is in the A harness and that would be the damaged section. (platform)(see legend on right side of schematic)

The section you checked is the C harness and has no splices. (lower cab)

You also have harness M from connector 21 to the detent coil.

Ok it's obviously not the transmission solenoid the machine moves and steers just the hydraulics don't work. Do you know where the detent and work tool solenoid are located?so if I needed to change a harness more then likely platform harness A would be needed to be changed
The work tool and travel (transmission) solenoids are near each other. The detent coil is on the joystick.
Oh of course, I'll check the splices out first

It would be ok to add a wire (splice) into a good section but, if your environment is corrosive, this will be a short term fix. At least you will know it is the issue.

I would check the harness fully in both directions (to the solenoids and from them) just to be certain I did not miss anything obvious.

Yeah no problem with corrosion here we are up in northern Canada on the prairies and I have had the machine since new and mostly stored inside. All the other harnesses and connectors look like new must be a broken wire or rubbed through.

Ok, thanks.

I look for pinch area and where ever the harness must flex. This is a common problem and newer machines have opened up these areas for more room to allow the harness some clearance.

The first models also had issues with water seeping into the connectors.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician