Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Cat D6M Dozer won’t turn to the right. When I swapped the…

Customer Question
My Cat D6M Dozer...

My Cat D6M Dozer won’t turn to the right. When I swapped the left steer solenoid with the right steer solenoid it wouldn’t turn left. I put two new steer solenoids on thinking I had a stuck solenoid but the problem still persists. It is a fingertip control machine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

CAT D6M XL I don’t have the serial number

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/3/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

Are you still looking for help with this problem?

I do need that serial number to be able to help you with details.

Are you sure you got the correct solenoids?

Have you tried installing the old solenoids back in the machine and just change the coils?

Did you test the coils? Did you check for voltage to the coils?

Are you checking the fault codes in the monitor?

I'm still looking for help with this problem.
The machine Serial number is *****
Yes I got the right solenoids and I did try changing the coils as well.
There are three fault codes currently active on the machine,
030 271F05
030 324F05
113 298F02

MID 030 - CID 0271 - FMI 05
This diagnostic code is recorded when the main display module reads the current of the action alarm. The current for the action alarm is below normal. The action alarm does not SOUND as a result of this diagnostic code. The schematic that is shown above represents a typical installation of the component. Verify the connector contact and wire numbers by using the Electrical System Schematic for the machine that is being serviced.

Usually, connecting the alarm to the harness will solve this code.

MID 030 - CID 0324 - FMI 05
This diagnostic code is recorded when the main display module reads the current of the circuit for the action lamp and the current is below normal. The action lamp does not light as a result of this diagnostic code. The schematic that is shown above represents a typical installation of the component. Verify the connector contact and wire numbers by using the Electrical System Schematic for the machine that is being serviced.

Usually a new bulb or connecting the bulb in the socket will fix this issue.

MID 113 - CID 0298 - FMI 02

This diagnostic code is for the service brake pedal switch.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the status of the service brake pedal switch is wrong. The switch closes the circuit between the battery and the secondary brake solenoid when the service brake pedal is fully pressed. A diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM detects an open circuit and the switch is near the floor.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below:

The Signal circuit (G731-GY(Grey)) is open or shorted.
+Battery wire (198-RD(Red)) is open.
The switch is not adjusted correctly.
The switch has failed.
The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.
System Response:
The diagnostic code causes the backup circuit for the engagement of the brakes from the service brake pedal to not function. The indicator for the brake on the Caterpillar Monitoring System will FLASH. The service brake will continue to operate correctly.

Note: A diagnostic code for the service brake pedal position sensor (CID 0468) can affect the status of CID 0298 FMI 02. Also, check for a problem with the electrical system (CID 0168). Check for any diagnostic codes for the secondary brake solenoid (CID 0722). Clear CID 0168 diagnostic code, CID 0468 diagnostic code or CID 0722 diagnostic code before you proceed.

Note: The status of the service brake pedal switch is updated only when the brake pedal is pressed. In order to correctly determine the status of the switch, turn the keyswitch to the ON position while the brake pedal is released. Then, press the brake pedal completely. Use this same procedure in order to clear the diagnostic code after repairs have been made.

Usually, pressing the brake pedal to the floor and holding it pressed for one second will allow the ECM to see the switch operate in both states (open and closed) then the code will clear.

You may need to operate the machine and then check for codes again to see what becomes active.

Some codes are not active after a keyswitch cycle.

Either way, the logged codes should store the fault. Codes that begin with the MID 113 are for the transmission.