Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Looking at a D6H LGP at an auction. The decelerator is broke…

Looking at a D6H...

Looking at a D6H LGP at an auction. The decelerator is broke but when I go forward and try to cut the machine left or right it just stops. I don't think the engine is at full RPM but at least 75% What you think is wrong?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat D6H LGP series ii done have serial

6/2/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

I would have a dealer pressure test the transmission, steering, and brake pressures.

If it has steering clutches. It could be a bad steering valve.

It has pressure to the steering clutches and the brakes or the machine would not move.

It has pressure to the transmission or it would not move.

The only issue is the steering clutches are not released to allow a turn.

This requires releasing the steering clutch pressure to allow that track to stop driving the machine.

The only thing the controls that pressure is the steering clutch valve.

If this is a differential steering tractor, the steering motor may have failed or the steering control/pump (depends on the serial number)

Both can be very expensive as usually, parts must be replaced. It is rarely an adjustment that will fix the issue.

I cannot suggest a cost but, it may exceed $10,000 for any of these problems.

It definitely has steering clutches. If you can pick up a little speed it tries to cut but stops. Steering clutch valve seems like a likely culprit. Does this machine have a clutch behind the torque converter that engages when the main brake is applied?
The machine only has 5600 hours

Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue.

How did you find a D6H model with only 5600 hours?

That number should be over 20,000 hours if it was used at all.

Used by a local county police jury. Their not a really wound up bunch

If you can get it for a steal, it would be a great tractor. You won't find them today without electronics all over them.

It is normal for the driveshaft to stop turning when the tractor is in gear and the brakes are applied.

The torque converter is at a stall and the clutches are locked to the drivetrain.

If you pull both levers in halfway, that will release both steering clutches and the driveshaft should spin. The second half of the lever pull only applies the brakes.

I'm an electronics guy and really prefer the older machines that do not have the electric over hydraulic controls. Just extra stuff to screw up. linkages and levers rarely fail and if they do are easily troubleshot. Thanks for the advice I think I can buy it for 10 to 15K. going to check on the parts cost now. It has sat a long time the valve may just be stuck.The tracks are like new

Pull the oil filter out and see how much water and debris is in the filter. If you don't find perfect oil, then the valves could be sticking. (under the floor plate)

It is a modulating pressure control valve and can be complicated.

I haven't rebuilt one but, the few I have seen can be a hand full to service.

A new undercarriage can cost over $35,000. (Tracks, pads, rollers, idlers, and sprockets.)

Yep, lots of springs and balls, oblongs and rods that have to reassembled perfectly. Can be a nightmare. Been there done that. Thanks for the advice again

You're welcome! I am glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician