Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1978 JD backhoe. I can't determine if the fluid…

Customer Question
I have a 1978...

I have a 1978 JD backhoe. I can't determine if the fluid dipstick and port under the seat is for Hydrolic fluid or transmission fluid. Or are the both the same on this model?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

JD500CD Serial is 278828

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I bought a TM -1038 online and several pages are missing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Agriculture Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just need to know what fluid to use and where they go.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
I have a 1978 JD500CD backhoe. I just bought it. I need to know what guilds to use and where they are all located. I bought a TM-1038 online for $100. But it is missing the pages I need for this info.
What type of Engine oil? Is 15w40 alright?
Is the dipstick end Floyd port under the seat for Hydrolic fluid or transmission fluid? Are they one and the same in this model?
Coolant? What type do I use?Dipstick under the seat?It is a diesel.Got it
5/28/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

55357;���

On your model, the transmission is the reservoir for the hydraulics, so the one dipstick and fill port are for both.

Good. What type of engine oil?
And Coolant do I use.

15W40 diesel oil for the engine, and use standard 50/50 antifreeze, Peak or Prestone will work.

Great! Thank you!

Thank you!