Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Dan. I have a 1998 Cat TH63 Telehandler. Im blowing a 10amp…

Customer Question
Hello Dan. I have a...
Hello Dan. I have a 1998 Cat TH63 Telehandler. Im blowing a 10amp fuse everytime I put into forward gear. Reverse works fine. I tried putting it in speed 4 forward and it worked but then tried 1,2,3, and it blew a fuse and tried 4 again and it blew as well. Ive chased wires and cannot find a short or bad wire or connection. I replaced the directional controller because the old one's contacts were shot. Put the new one in and it worked fine and now im back to blowing the same fuse again. Im starting to think its one of the transmission solenoids but not sure if there is a certain way to diagnose those or a certain order to replace them.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 4 days by:
6/1/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

Are you still looking for help with this problem?

The simplest way to test the solenoids is to compare the ohms reading in each coil. If one stands out as very high or very low compared to the rest, that is likely the failed coil. Most solenoids can be repaired by only replacing the coil. I believe these older machines will send the same voltage to each coil it turns on. You should have two on for each gear selected.

If you need further help with this, please post the machine's complete serial number with your reply.