Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a bobcat T550 With serial number a AJZV12430, model…

Customer Question
Hello again, we have a...
Hello again, we have a bobcat T550 With serial number a AJZV12430, model year 2015. The person using it noticed it was starting to sputter and shut it off to fuel it up thinking it was empty even though the fuel gauge still was showing a quarter full. After fuelling it, it was not starting anymore. He followed the procedure for priming the filter after running out of fuel set out by the manual. It was still not starting. He then cracked the bottom nuts Of the injectors on the common rail. When he cranked it lots of fuel is coming out. He then changed the fuel filter and primed it again according to their instructions. It still wouldn’t start. He then primed it at the bottom nuts. Fuel came out when cranking. But it still wouldn’t start. He then crack the top nuts right at the injectors. Not sure if he said that Fuel came out right away but there was fuel there when cranking. It still would not start. If it sits for a while like 20 minutes and you try to start it, then it wants to start more. But after about five seconds of cranking it starts to sound like it doesn’t wanna go anymore. There are no error codes showing in the history. What do you figure?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Are you still available?
Answered in 2 days by:
5/27/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Ok

Is the primer pump electric or manual? Open the return line at the head, that goes back to the tank, and prime the system until you have fuel coming out the return with no air. If air continues to show, go back to the line coming from the tank, to the filter, remove the line, and check the fitting at the filter, and v=blow back into the tank line to clear any debris in the outlet. Then prime again with the return line removed, until you get only fuel. Then close the return and start the engine.

The primer to the filter is a rubber bulb and the pump to the common rail is a mechanical gear driven high pressure injection pump.

OK<Check the return to the tank, and I suspect that the problem is going to be the fuel outlet from the tank. Engine was starving for fuel when it was shut down, and I assume by now the filter has been replaced.

Filter has been replaced. But there never was any error code showing up for fuel or lack there of. When we cracked the injectors there was Lots of fuel. Also tried with Ether but it made no difference. Always likes to start more for 5 seconds of cranking when you let it sit for half an hour and then it’s the same thing as before. It doesn’t run for five seconds but it sounds like it wants to go more while starting for five seconds

I would check the return fuel line for air, and check the fuel tank outlet.

OK>