Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Rented a CAT 301.7D CR mini excavator. Ran it for about half…

Customer Question
Rented a CAT 301.7D...

Rented a CAT 301.7D CR mini excavator. Ran it for about half hour everything working fabulous. Shut it down, but now it won’t restart because the left hydraulic console won’t lock down. I can start the CAT ... but nothing works can’t drive tracks, or any other feature.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

OK

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

OK

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/24/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always smell like a baby weight does you have that on your face is a diaper way back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Your safety lever on the left-hand console and switch within that circuit is not functioning properly to signal your control valve to open up your pilot controls for your hydraulic functions to operate, you will need to have that circuit tested for a possible faulty switch or problem within the wiring harness or connector pins. Use a digital ohmmeter to test for continuity throughout the circuit and look for any open circuits or other problems that would cause your safety lever and circuit not to function . Be sure to test for power on both sides of each one of your fuses with the ignition switch on replacing any fuse power only on one side. Swap your relays one at a time with a known good one for testing purposes. It is a pleasure to help any way I can.

Baby? Diaper? I’m looking for a CAT expert ... this should be an obvious, simple questionSorry ... I will cancel this charge on my credit card and look elsewhere for a solution. Feels scam like

I was field service for Milton Cat. We can follow up as needed on here.

Are you asking for a baby wipe and diaper for the tonka toy machine? Please explain.

So you are a homeowner that rented a toy excavator that most Cat dealers have very little support on the mini's as opposed to the real full size machines. Your safety lever circuit in the LH console is not working that consists of electrical wiring and connector pins as well is the switch, electric over hydraulic solenoid valves that are signaled to open up the pilot controls all within the circuit.Electrical and hydraulic schematics can also differ between serial number breaks, but I am assuming you might have anticipated a diagnosis without checking all of these circuits? Unfortunately that is impossible. I was trying to give you advice on what to start checking. If this is a rental, the rental company should be responsible for making sure this machine is functioning as well as the repair if it is down.

If you look at the back of your feet below your seat, there is a panel to remove to access all your fuses and relays. Check to make sure all your relays are making good connection and swap them one at a time with a known good one for testing purposes as you could have a relay that's acting up not allowing your safety lockout circuit to function properly. Use your voltage tester to test for both sides of all of your fuses one at a time to look for any blown fuses as well. Take a very close look at your left-hand console to make sure it's latching properly and the switch in that console is functioning to allow your hydraulic controls and functions to operate when the solenoid at the pilot valve is powered to open up your functions.

That all sounds correct. I just rented this for the two-day Holiday weekend and it is kaput. Will these fuses and solenoids keep the physical, mechanical lever from engaging and locking into position? You believe this is an electrical ... not a mechanical failure?Sadly, it is a Holiday weekend and I cannot get parts, nor can I contact the Rental agency ... so now, I am SOL for two days.Is it possible I am not pushing the lever down and engaging it properly? It doesn’t look to be a complicated mechanism ... but I can’t get it to lock down

If the console won't lock down, I would check to see if anything might've failed within the latching mechanism as well as check the electrical switch and circuit for any damage as well. You may need to remove the plastic covering on the left-hand console to access those components. Now if this were latching properly to open up the hydraulics for everything to work, and all your fuses and relays check out good, a mechanical problem such as a hydraulic system failure normally would cause the pump to produce metal through the system and you would see this metal inside your hydraulic filter if you were to remove your hydraulic filter and empty it into a clean bucket or container to look for anything that looks like glitter in the oil and filter.. If this is clean however, another potential mechanical problem that can cause loss of hydraulic functions would be the pump drive coupling in between your hydraulic pumps and your engine causing the pumps not to turn and engine speed. Since your console is not locking, this is the most common thing and the description of that symptom alone flags that first which is also the least expensive and most likely failure from what you describe as when you came back to the machine the console would no longer lock in place. That is where you are going to start.