Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an older (1985 ?) Ford 555 backhoe/loader, diesel.

Recently a loud whine is...
I have an older (1985 ?) Ford 555 backhoe/loader, diesel. Recently a loud whine is being heard in the area of the right rear tire area I believe. The loud whine usually occurs when the backhoe is under load, i.e. pushing dirt or going uphill/slight inclines, etc. When slowing down the backhoe will stop almost abruptly when foot pedal is released. I had recently changed the hydraulic oil filter which is just in front of the right rear tire. All fluids are at acceptable levels.
5/21/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

The symptoms you are describing lean towards a hydraulic pump or relief valve type of noise. When a relief valve goes over relief under a load it will make sort of a hissing type of noise from the fluid bypassing internally at the relief valve set pressure. A hydraulic pump will whine if it is sucking in air or starving for oil as well as tired and on its path to failure. Usually pumps over time will start getting louder as they wear. Most importantly you want to check inside your old hydraulic filter or your current hydraulic filter to see if there is any sign of fine metal or debris that would flag a potential pump or component failure occurring. This would look like glitter in the oil and filter if present. All of this is clean, it is recommended that you have your pressures tested and confirmed whether or not they are within OEM specifications for your model and serial number machine service book. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Thanks so much for letting me know where to start looking at least. I will dig up the old filter and check it out as you described and see what else I can determine. Thanks again. I'm glad that it doesn't sound like the something very expensive to repair, i.e. rear end, etc.

See if you get the same kind of noise or symptoms when not traveling but only operating the hydraulics. Try to deadhead your hydraulic function when not traveling and see if deadheading that function putting the hydraulics under a load makes the same kind of noise or if it's only while traveling.

I guess I neglected to mention that the whining occurs when the backhoe is moving. It moves with some difficulty but it still is mobile.

If you are having problems with your hydraulic functions, definitely check your filter and suction screenthat could be starving oil to your hydraulic pump if it is restricted or plugged. A faulty hydraulic pump that it's on its way out can also cause the symptoms you are experiencing as I mentioned.

Dan, Technician
OK, thanks again, it's bed time.
sir, same here. Have yourself a great night.