Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am looking to buy a Deere 544h loader that has 25000 hrs…

Hi, I am looking to...
Hi, I am looking to buy a Deere 544h loader that has 25000 hrs but still runs and drives very well. I have test drove several other brands including a 621 case with less hours and found them to be very sluggish when driving. This deere has much more get up and go but it makes a whining noise in tranny when you accelerate... Sounds like a relief valve... It can be heard slightly in first gear, more in second, still more in third etc... Is this normal or something I should be concerned about?
Help. Website just says its matching me for 2 hours already..
5/16/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Some of the noise on acceleration would be normal. The thing you want to check for is your oil level and condition. Look for any dark or discolored oil, also check inside your transmission filter and your transmission suction screen at the bottom of the sump of the transmission for any sign of fine metal or debris that would flag or confirm an internal mechanical problem occurring with your transmission that would require disassembly for further inspection for repair or rebuild. There should be little to no metal or debris within your transmission. If found, disassembly for further inspection for repair would be necessary. If this is all clean, I recommend having your pressures tested and confirmed they are within OEM specifications . This would further confirm no problems with the transmission . It's a pleasure to help anyway I can

Dan, Technician
Thanks! Problem is the seller has had a full service done by dealer so oil and filters are new.. The only reason it caught my attention was because noneof the other brands i test drove had this noise... It really jumps tho when you accelerate so its prob ok.. The case i drove you had to floor it to get it to move...

Thank you for the update. Doing a hydraulic stall, transmission converter stall, and full stall on a wheel loader is a good way when checking out a machine to see if there are any problems. Curl the bucket and deadhead your bucket function after determining full RPMs. So first, push the pedal to the floor and get your full RPMs to make sure they are within OEM specifications for your machine. Most of the time it will be somewhere around 2100 RPM to the 2200 range. Then curl your bucket and the RPMs should be expected to drop maybe around 100 RPM to 150 range. Do the same with your transmission. Turn to your highest gear with the brake held. Pull against your brakes and get that RPM with the pedal to the floor as it should also not drop excessively. Then do it with both hydraulics and your bucket curled. You may lose 150 RPM or so but the machine and engines should not fall flat on its face in a full stall.

Just don't hold it into a stall too long other than to determine whether or not the machine stalls completely at full throttle or falls on its face. You do not want to overheat the machine transmission or hydraulic system in a stall.

Ok thank you very much!

You are very welcome.