Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I’m changing the clutch packs on a jd 550 dozer. I have

I’m changing the clutch...

I’m changing the clutch packs on a jd 550 dozer. I have pulled the motor, torque converter housing, the front plate of the transmission and all the components inside the transmission except the one barrel on the right as you’re facing the transmission. It pulls out partially but there is not enough room for the barrel to clear the front wall so i cannot get it out. Does it come apart and if so how?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I don’t have the serial number handy but it is a John Deere 550 dozer

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Hello?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Really?

5/16/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

Is this a 550, 550C, 550G, etc? What is the serial number? This is important information to know for the question you are asking. Also, Are you attempting to rebuild the transmission clutches or steering clutches depending on your accurate model and serial number? I do not recommend rebulding a transmission/Reverser without a shop manual present. I worked for Nortrax John Deere and have rebuilt several of these dozer transmissions. I can assure you, You will get in trouble going in blind with no specs or procedures.

Click on this link. You can also scroll though for the different pages for the parts breakdown of the transmission clutches. This will show you how each are assembled and part numbers.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/60636/referrer/navigation/pgId/108

I also stress not to attempt rebuild without your shop manual. Click this link below for the 550 manual.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SERVICE-MANUAL-FOR-JOHN-DEERE-550-550C-CRAWLER-BULLDOZER-TECHNICAL-SHOP-BOOK-/162731080931

It is a pleasure to help any way I can.

As a prior John Deere dealer technician, I can assure you that none of the components within the transmission that I am aware of are referred to as the barrel. If you are attempting to describe the clutch drum which houses the clutches, there is an order of disassembly for each model and serial number break machine that is covered in the shop manual. Even when I was working at the dealer, we followed the shop manual. If you do not tear this down in the order covered by the shop manual, you are going to run into problems. If you do not pay attention to the clearances, tolerances , and specifications covered by the shop manual, you will also run into problems and a lot of wasted time working on this with the potential that having to take it apart more than once by overlooking something. Please take my advice and have a shot manual on hand which is going to tell you step-by-step the proper way to disassemble this transmission and the proper way to reassemble it..

Dan, thanks for getting back to me. My friend and I are rebuilding the transmission in this tractor which is a JD 550. No letters after the number. I will get you a serial number. I will need to go down to the shop tomorrow to get it. My friend who is also Dan is the mechanic and has done many projects on older equipment but he has not worked on a 550 before. He doesn't claim to know everything but he has proven to me to be very capable. I am helping him. I am mechanically inclined but would never attempt something like this on my own.
So the fact that I called the drum a barrel was just a mistake by me.
Having said that, we do have a shop manual. It's the TM 1108. I must tell you it's not as detailed as it could be.
We pulled the motor, the torque converter, the torque converter housing and everything that went along with that. We then removed the front of the transmission. We removed two drums.
My question is how do we get the last drum out (which is on the left side. It pulls out a little ways until it hits the front of the transmission case which won't allow it to go any further. I will send you a picture which will show you what I'm talking about. Can you tell us how to get that last drum out?
My question is how do we get the last drum out (which is on the left side. It pulls out a little ways until it hits the front of the transmission case which won't allow it to go any further. I will send you a picture which will show you what I'm talking about. Can you tell us how to get that last drum out? I'll send some pictures.

Some pictures would be great for sure. Also, you can utilize that link I provided as well any time you need to reference the parts breakdowns . I have rebuilt several John deere dozer transmissions as well as some Deere/Caterpillar loader transmissions as well.I claim to be pretty sharp myself but you never want to get too far ahead as over the years , I have learned that overlooking one little specification in the service book could cost the whole job unfortunately.I have seen it happen. I look forward to those photos.

I'm having trouble sending the pictures by text. Can I send them to an email address?

The picture posted. Remove the idler gear to get some more clearance.

I don't know what picture posted. I sent three. I'm pretty sure the idler gear is already out. I'll try to send the picture of where we are right now.

Sounds good.

How do I send you a picture?

There should be a paperclip or attachment icon that you can upload your saved photo one at a time. You will need to type a quick response and hit send for it to upload.

I think I figured it out. Please let me know if you get it.

It did not come through.

I'm on Eastern standard Time here and it's 12:28 AM and I am off to bed. I will be logged in periodically throughout the day tomorrow for any follow-ups.

Thanks
Try***@******.*** and I will check it out when I log in tomorrow.

Click the link below. Make sure both covers are removed up top. Look on the other side of the case for that the other end is attatched to. Also, you may need to get the bearing to move on the rear of the housing to allow clearance.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/60636/referrer/navigation/pgId/86

Hi Dan, I'm not sure if I explained it right but what I need to know is,
How do I get the remaining drum (in the picture I sent) out of the power shift housing? As you know you sent me a picture of the spiral bevel gear housing. I have both the parts manual and the technical manual so I have all those blow ups.
Dan. We have it figured out. The power shift housing has to be split from the spiral bevel gear housing in order to get the remaining drum out.
Thanks anyway but I think we can take it from here
Thank you for the update and I'm glad to hear that you got this resolved.
Dan, Technician