Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 99 model, 720a champion motor grader, jus got it…

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 model , 720a champion motor grader, jus got it actualy ,, my qst is ,, my turn table will not turn ,it tryn too but am i missing a switch to unlock turn table or is there a manual lock, or could it b low on hyd fluid that hendering it? Has couple cylinders that need pakd

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

720Avhp ,,, ser-x028647x

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it , thanks

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Havent recieved answer yet,,, on eastern standard time, gotta get up early so if they can text answer please
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/14/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

If this machine is been sitting a while and you are hearing the hydraulics load trying to turn your turntable, make sure there is nothing interfering with allowing the turntable to turn such as a lock etc. on the turntable itself. Otherwise, it is very possible that if this grader has sat for a long time, there could be a failure at the turntable gearbox itself or it could be seized in place. I would take a closer look at that as a possibility. It is a pleasure to help anyway I can.

Cant find a lock, it has bn sitn b4 i got it fo awhile,, just had those cylinders pakd for turn table , was able to hang one sie of blade in ground and pull lever and go in direction i needed but since cylndrr packin i cant do that now

Thank you for the update. Very well sounds like something might be seized with your turntable. I worked in a Volvo dealer years ago and haven't put my hands on one of these champion graders for quite some time but if you could possibly upload some photos when you get a chance of the turntable and swing mechanism, it would be helpful. It doesn't have to be tonight because I am logging off shortly but if you could do that at some point throughout the day tomorrow I can put my thoughts together in give you a few pointers of what to try to get this working and other things to check.

I would check to see if you might be air bound if there was movement prior to resealing the cylinders. I was looking through my archives to see if I might have some manuals on this but unfortunately I do not. It sounds very possible that you could have some air pockets within that circuit from having those cylinders removed and reinstalled. See if you can try to bleed that circuit of air by deadheading another function and then trying to operate your swing circle in both directions.

10fo will try, thnks

You're very welcome.