Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Bobcat 864 and the auxillary hydraulics are on and…

Customer Question
I have a Bobcat...

I have a Bobcat 864 and the auxillary hydraulics are on and running backwards when started... almost like hoses are swapped??? When I puf the brush cutter on and start it the brush cutter is on and spinning backwards.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Bobcat 864 sn###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Equipment Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/13/2020
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 2 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, have you tried disconnecting the auxiliary hydraulic solenoid valves at the main control valve and see if it stops the aux hydraulics from operating?

You mean unplug it??? Or remove it?

Unplug them. The 864 is one Bobcat model I haven't seen many of, but they're pretty much like all other Bobcat models. Raise your cab and locate the main control valve. The auxiliary solenoid valves are mounted on the top of the main control valve. Disconnect the plug in connection to the solenoid valves and see if your aux hydraulic circuit stops working when it's running.

Ill try that in am, if aux hyds stop, does hat mean solenoids are bad?

No, if it stops that means the solenoids are good and something is giving it an input. If it keeps working, that means you've got a solenoid valve that is stuck open. Is this an F series or G series machine?

Think its a G, but not positive.

F series had rectangular shaped headlights, G series had triangle shaped headlights

Mine has triangle headlights over door.

Then you have a G series machine. Just curious, the 864 was made in the late 90's to early 2000 models, that's just when Bobcat was changing from F series to G series machines on all models, small window of years and I haven't worked on many of them in those years but I know that Bobcat made a bit of a slow transition between the F and G, that is, some of the early G series machines still used some of the earlier F series systems, such as the BICS system or held on to the BOSS system of on board diagnostics that were held over to the early G machines. So given you have one of these transitional year machines, I'm just curious of what BICS system your G series has. Does it have the BICS module on the cab back wall to the right of the seat like the F series, or does it have the BICS system on the left front cab control panel?

Tested all 3 solenoid and all work.

The coils close to the 3 and the 6 in your picture is the aux valve coils. Those are 9 volt Pulse Width Modulation coils, don't put 12V on them or you chance burning the up. The coil in the middle of the control valve is the BICS hydraulic lock valve, prevents all valve functions until it's powered up by the main controller.

Did you unplug the aux coils to see if the aux hydraulics stops working?

That is a G series cab and no you don't have the BICS module on the cab back wall like on the F series. You're left cab control panel should look like this.

BTW, Bobcat sells a replacement bottom cushion for that seat, don't have to purchase the entire seat. Been a few years since I've purchased one, but I don't think they're insanely expensive, for sure a heck of a lot less than a complete seat.

unplugged coils...no change. Removed coils and bench tested, both clicked and moved inside with power.
Swap the two aux solenoid valves, leave the wires disconnected, start it and see if it still works an attachment but in opposite direction
Swaped coils no change, still starts aux hyds when engine starts...
But did it change direction of flow?
I dont have anything on it, the direction doesnt concern me as much as it being engaged atstart...I can change direction at controls.
There's a method to my madness here. We know the problem isn't electrical since it still works with coils unplugged, so it has to be either a faulty solenoid valve or a problem with the spool inside the control valve, only way to verify is to swap the solenoid valves. If that changes the direction of flow, faulty solenoid valve. If it doesn't change the direction of flow then you have a problem with the spool inside the control valve. Without this info we're just guessing
Ill have to bring attachment back to shop.
Copy that, would be best to use an attachment with a motor instead of a cylinder