Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

How do I detach the 6 foot by 8 inch forks on a Petibone…

Customer Question
How do I detach...

How do I detach the 6 foot by 8 inch forks on a Petibone 204A all terrain lift? Unit is being shipped and fork length is adding a significant cost to shipping.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Not certain of serial number or specific year. Unit is 25'6" long (with forks attached), 10'6" wide (with tire width) and 11'4" high. Only listed as Pettibone 204A lift with crab type steering front and rear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/2/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Forks are either pin mounted, where the large pin has to be removed, or it hangs on a flat carriage on the bottom rail is a slot that has to align with the lower ear on the fork, the fork is tilted up in the notch to release it,

Aloha Curtis, here are some photos of the lift.
d8bc5931-ccc9-437d-bf7e...jpegd8bc59...jpegc981898e-5e02-4a9a-8de3...jpegc98189...jpeg4f7e2195-7b21-4360-8d86...jpeg4f7e21...jpeg7c747b31-aac2-4f75-b008...jpeg7c747b...jpeg
I have to prepare this lift for shipping Portland Oregon to Hilo Hawaii. Just trying to be prepared for any special tool(s) that may be needed to complete the task.

The forks are side shifted forks. Run the forks as far as you can to the outside, unpin the side shift cylinders from the forks, remove the end plates on each end of the carriage and the forks have to be slid off the end. If you have a pallet jack, you can use the pallet jack to support the fork and use if to roll the fork out,

I am following your guidance for the most part. The removal of "the end plates" appears to be suggesting that these plates are bolted. From what I can see in the photographs that I have, these end plates look to be a welded part of the carriage, but I will prepare for a bolted removal? Thanks

It looked like bolts to me, if either end has bolts, forks can be taken off that end.