Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 753 Bobcat. The lift arms go up but wont go down.

Customer Question
I have a 753...

I have a 753 Bobcat. The lift arms go up but wont go down. The bucket tilt goes down wont go up. Any ideas?/

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Customer:###-##-####f series

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Had a hydraulic leak... replaced spool seal. Problem was there before I did this.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/26/2020
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 2 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Sounds like you may have one of the solenoid valves stuck for the auxiliary circuit preventing oil return flow for the lift/tilt circuit. Is it making a hissing noise at the main control valve when the engine is running?

I can't hear anything out of the ordinary.The only thing I have done to the machine recently is replaced the ignition switch. Key broke off and lift spool valve seals. They started leaking when this problem occurred.

I see. This problem is typically one of the auxiliary valves stuck preventing flow. The reason it will lift up and tilt down is the circuit reliefs for those two circuits allow for return flow. First thing I would try, and not hard to do, is swap the two auxiliary valves, not just the coil, remove the coil from both the auxiliary solenoid valves and remove both valve spools from the valve body, then swap them. Try it again and see if problem changes.

Ok. Let you know.

On second thought, that may not work. If one is stuck internally it would still prevent flow through the main control valve. If one is stuck it sends oil to one of the couplers on the loader arms for attachments, but with nothing hooked up there it's a hydraulic dead end, oil can't flow. One thing you could do is rig up a jumper hose and connect it to the two auxiliary couplers to allow oil to loop through the aux circuit, or course you'd need a male and female coupler and short piece of hose to make the jumper, but that would allow oil to flow through the main control valve if one of the aux solenoid valves is stuck. And you could still remove the solenoid valves and inspect them, you might find something in there.

Wouldn't be able to get a hose today. I do know that when you turn the aux on and use the switch it dead heads then.Continuity of both solenoids is good. Should I still swap valve's and solenoids?

I'd pull them out and inspect them, not hard to do. I'm looking at the hydraulic schematic and I'm not seeing anything else that would cause this. The main control valve is an open circuit with oil flowing straight through it, but if one of the auxiliary valves were faulty, stuck, or powered up it would prevent flow through the main control valve. If the BICS solenoid lock valve wasn't working it would prevent lift/tilt to work in either direction. I scratching my head trying to see anything other than a problem with the auxiliary valves, but I'll keep noodling it. But I would remove those solenoid valve spools and inspect them.

Ok.
I unplugged the solenoids problem solved. Now what though? I need aux to work.

Ah, something is powering up one of the aux solenoid valves. I don't have the manual for your serial number, I have the manual for the s/n range just above your machine so I can't verify what I'm looking at is the same with your machine. I assume the aux is controlled by the thumb switch on the right drive lever knob and it looks like it not a proportional switch like found on the G series machine, more of an off/on/off switch and circuit. Is that correct?

Ok, assuming your machine is similar to the later diagrams I have, I'd check the wires that go into the bottom of the drive lever, the wires that go up inside the drive lever to the knob with the switches. See if you can locate a red/orange wire (power wire for aux switch), a dark green/light green wire, and a dark green/red wires, that's the two output wires from the aux switch

Yep got them. Plus another connector with 2 wires.Just replaced the ignition switch.... might have a issue there.

I'm not seeing a direct connection to the ignition switch, and if you replaced it with a replacement from Bobcat I really doubt the ignition switch is causing the problem. Yes, there's two other wires there, the C458 connector, but that's a different circuit, you need to check the C459 connector, that's the wires for the aux switch on the right knob. Disconnect the C459, reconnect the wires at your aux solenoid valves and start the machine, see if the loader functions now work but aux functions don't.

Wait a minute, stop the presses, gawd it's been years since I've worked on a F series. It suddenly hit me, my memory, on the F series, to bleed off pressure on the aux circuit to make or break connections at the couplers on the loader arms you simply turn the ignition switch to the Aux position on the ignition switch, this puts power on a dark green/yellow wire at the ignition switch, that wire powers up the base circuit aux solenoid valve at the main control valve, dark green/red wire. If that dark green/yellow wire at the ignition switch is powered up when you have the switch in the on (run) position, there's your problem. Let me know what you find.

Not a Bobcat ignition switch. Plugged in solenoids and unplugged 3 wire. Arms and bucket back to same problem.I will check that. Need to take a break for now.

Yes, check your connections at the key switch. If you have a dark green/yellow wire it can't be powered up with ignition on. Seems I recall this problem now way back in the cobwebs of my mind, that is, aftermarket universal ignition switches, when you turn them to the on (run) position they also power up the Acc terminal on the switch as well. The Bobcat replacement switch does not power up the Acc terminal when it's in the on position.

Im sure that's the problem. But i will get it checked out. Thanks so much. I will let you know the outcome.

Yes, let me know what you find