Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My cat 312EL is started hydraulic started running hot.

Customer Question
My cat 312EL is...

My cat 312EL is started hydraulic started running hot

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

MJD01130 CAT 312 E L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Engine temp was running hot so I replaced radiator core and fixed that. Now the hydraulic boom is always pulling in even when I’m not engaging also has lost some power now the hydraulic temp is running hotter than usual

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can hear a little squeal when I’m walking machine

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/21/2020
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. We can follow up as needed on here, Give me some time to review your information and follow up with my responses. Professionals are not employees of the site but users of the site and help on here as time allows in between jobs, family, etc. Response time can vary depending on my work load each day but I will always respond back on my next available login. Feel free to respond back at anytime if for any reason we seem to get separated, for status, etc.

The symptoms you are describing you want to first check your radiator core and your hydraulic cooler core that it will allow air to pass through and is not restricted by any debris. Shine a light through one side to be sure that you can see the light through the core in all positions. If this checks out okay, verify that your engine cooling system is functioning properly with your thermostat, water pump, engine oil cooler, fan shroud , and your cooling fan. If there are no leaks or restrictions and operational concerns with your engine cooling system, use a digital temperature reader to look for hotspots within your hydraulic system that would flag a restriction or potential component failure occurring. To further check for any component failures, your return hydraulic filter in your tank will collect any metal or debris from any failing components before it goes back to tank. Remove and inspect your return hydraulic in tank filter for any fine metal or debris that would flag or confirm a pump or component failure occurring and system contamination. It will look like glitter in the oil and filter if present. It's a pleasure to help anyway I can.