Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Im currently working on an yale forklift, and there it will…

Hello there, im currently...

Hello there, im currently working on an yale forklift, and there it will not go into forward or reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Industrial Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Unfortunatly there i do not know what type it is , but i have found the part online what seems to be the trouble....i think its the transmission contrle valve (part number(###) ###-####00). the inching valve i have cleaned, including the piston and spring (really dirty)... Im about to take the whole unit offm and give it an cleaning... some times when i put in in reverse you notice that it wants to go in reverse, (engine is going down in rpm`s) but not able to drive..... can someone give me an tip how to proceed? oil level in the gearbox is at max.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Industrial Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think thats all.....

4/17/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

would be great... my background is race cars, but im out of a job at he moment....

This is a mechanically shifted F/R unit? It looks to be. Are you sure the inching valve is not sticking open, allowing the fluid to bypass the clutches? And the unit will roll, brakes are not locked? Have you run a pressure check? Needs around 200 psi to work.

the inching valve is definatly open, it was dirty.... but now all is clean, unit rolls no problem, im do not have the possibility to check pressure (so high) and do not know where to connect if i had one?btw, the rest of the hydraulics work fine, if that any help.
just tried again, and reverse seems to work fine now....but forward sometimes it runs but no power and sometime nothing happens...

The pressure test would be a port on the control valve. If reverse works, inching is ok. So you may have a leaking forward clutch pack. Pressure test would show/

The hydraulics have nothing to do with the transmission system.

thanks all little bits of info help me.. good to know that the hydraulics have nothing to do with the transmission...

Yes, I was the service manager for a Yale dealer.

ill see if i can find a connection for an port to check the pressure... give me 10 min.. please

OK>

hope these pictures do make any sence to youmy meter goes only to 10 bar (140 psi)... not good enough i guess...on the picture transm. top , you can see on the lower pipe an screw, screwed into the head of the bajo, i that where i do messure?

I can't make out a plug, but that would work.

OK>

ok this happens, engine idels, in neutral meter goes over 145psi (i guess 200 psi off-scale), now i select reverse , after 5 sec the meter swings between 200 and 160psi and can drive, when i switch to forward needle is steady at 200 psi... no movement at all.maybee important information, sometimes it wont go in reverse or forward at all, at the moment only reverse works..

Has forward been working or is it new to you? Locate the linkage to forward and unpin it, and move the spool by hand to see if it is moving full travel, the indication is the oil is not going to the clutch.

here is the story of the forklift.. some one bought it from a friend, at the day of collection it did not want to start, when i fixed that, it was working fine, but after my first test run 20min. (after standing for over one year) ,suddenly the forward didnt work anymore, after driving home in reverse this didnt work anymore as well.it has an mechanical stop on top of the spool, and it goes as far as mechanically possible...
here a video of the spool travel, you can see the mechanical limiter
i tryed to select by hand, it wont go any further.....

Then remove the valve body and check it.

is it possible that the thing is so dirty from the inside that it does not work propperly anymore? when i did clean the inching valve, the dirt was immense....
I mean that in froward the oil is going in 2 directions?

With the valve body off, you can air check the two clutches.

do i need a new gasket, if i do so, or can i use silicon gaskets in combination with thes seal....o yes, not unimportant, how much oil will come out?

If the gasket looks good, reuse it as is. Silicon on valve body is never good.

No numbrs? GC30 would be my best guess. Cushion tire, 3000 lb cap.

No , no numbers nothing.... damn these hollowbolds are tight... grrrrrJust out of curiosity, what time is it over there??? I’m in Germany...

9:50 AM, Texas

I did take the whole valve apart. (I’m not the only one who worked on it) it was dirty, but can not have been the cause. It’s so simple.. I’ll check the flow by air pressure... if that is ok ... I’ll guess the clutch is gone?

Do the air check, seems like it has good seals, but doesn't engage.

You mean air pressure on the big power lines , coming out of the transmission control valve.
Ivguess one is forward and one reverse....I’ll write you again tomorrow, hope we can finalize our diagnose.. have a nice evening...

You want to pressure the clutch packs where the control valve would mount. You will have to locate the two ports.

Ok? The 2 big output pipes are not the once??It’s all difficult for me, as I do not understand how it all works...The round thing infringe of the transmission is the pump ..correct? It has an output and an return?

Yes,that is the pump

the forklift has 2 clutches you told me.. one for forward one for reverse??I thought that f/r was controlled by the direction of the oil flow....

Yes, it has two individual clutch packs.

Good to know, what I do not understand is that the oil in the valve was really black , and the transmission oil is really clear...( on the dip stick) or is this different oil? Sorry for asking these questions, trying to understand what is going on.....Because it has two clutch packs my whole theory was/is completely wrong.....The pump engages the clutch wright?

Pump supplies the oil and the valve body directs it to the forward or the reverse clutches.

Ok clear, but these two very thick high pressure pipes coming from the transmission valve, what do they do?

Oil cooler hoses?

It has no oil cooler... , 2 high pressure go to the bell housing from transmission valve, And one thick return coming from the bell housing.I’ll see if I can make some clear pictures tomorrow. Naturally when I understand what is going on I can fix it..
Perhaps you can explain when you see the pictures:)
Are you availeble again around 15:00 German time?

I don't know if it will help. May just be return lines to the transmission case reservoir. They don't affect F/R!

Ok , will find the wright connections , and connect air tomorrow..

You can just use an air nozzle held against the two cutch passages, to see if they hold pressure, and you can hear them engage and disengage!

I will do so... and let you know!

OK>

Could not get really far today... I’m really struggling cleaning the gaskets from the block. They are like concrete.
Need to clean the surface to get an proper air connection...
I will continue tomorrow....

OK<

good morning ?... back to work, so i have 7 holes (4 for the screws) and 3 other holes, if i put air pressure in one of these 3 holes the air blows out, no engage ment of one of the clutches....??
tried all 3 holes, all with the same outcome :(

Three holes? When you pressure one, it comes out other? Try plugging the hole air comes out, maybe return? There has to be a port for both clutches.

Hello, i`m back on the forklift..... i have changed the oil filter, because i thought that could be the reason for not feeding the pump (cloacked), after disconnecting the 2 pressure lines from the pump,( nothing came out after starting the engine) now the dipstick now shows almost nothing (way below minimum).. what spec of oil goes into the gear box?
o and naturally i checked the oil more than once before and was always on max...( hard to beleve i know)..

If oil is red, use Dexron ATF. if the oil is clear, use engine oil. 10W30.

Is the pump turning???

i filled it up, with atf.. for a couple minutes i had FW and BW, now only reverse....

Maybe needs more oil!

pump must be working well.....(other wise my BW clutch would not engage)
but can not eplain why the oil level was to low after changing the filter.....? i had to fill 2liters to go to max...sorry oil level is now at max, checked after 3 minutes....i really think its something with the return of the oil, pump does not get enough oil , or something....when i filled the oil, it was really powerfull FW and BW, and after a while the the FW was getting weaker, the BW is still very powerfullhow do you check the oil? immedeatly after turning of the engine, or wait (like you do with a car?)

Some older Yales and Hyster's draw the oil from the bell housing, and use a screen in the housing, it can get plugged with debris. Should have some kind of plate that can be removed to access and clean.

but just checked, reverse is very powerfull, forward its not....to my understanding, it can not be the clutch plates, because when i topped up the oil it was powerfull, and i could feel at the spool it was working very well, now i can feel there is no resistance..as you can see, the brake pedal is nt connected, so he inching valve is not activated

Inching would affect forward and reverse. So you are not putting fluid into the forward clutch. That would seem to eliminate any filter or screen problem if reverse works.

i agree.... its a tough one isnt it? :) i'm not getting clever out of the problem...:(

Sounds like the valve is not sending the flow to forward as it should.

i agree with you, and its strange that it does it for appr. 10 minutes and than the power/pressure drops...
That being said, its time to pull the plug on the project...
Alltough i have nothing to do during the corona crisis, but its getting frustrating :) thanks for all your help...
Stay healty!!!!

We are good, thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician