Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

3116 cat run good cold as warms up little to no throttle…

3116 cat run good...

3116 cat run good cold as warms up little to no throttle response and after a sit of 2 hours sometime need to hand prim to get to re start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

1km02058 engine 98z19397 938f wheel loader

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

This is a new customer to me and we are eager to help looked at loader and with what the customer has started and we believe its a pump /gov. issue starts good some times and sometimes need to hand prim they did say at 1st they were changing fuel filter every week and would run better and know 4 to 5 hours and no throttle opened fuel filter no debris found

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there another filter we don,t see we followed the lines from tank to primer base and filter [ both on a stand alone braket ] to inj pump and back to tank

4/15/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

This engine needs 10 psi fuel pressure during cranking to start the engine.

I usually rebuild the transfer pump and replace the check valves and inlet fitting to get the pressure as high as I can to see if it will help. Sometimes that is all you need. I find blockage at the water separator and and hand priming pump as the biggest problem with the 938 loaders. If you have not completely disassembled it and replaced the hand priming pump, you may need to make that repair to get you pressure up to its correct level.

The best testing you can do with this is fuel pressure and using a clear tube to isolate any air entry into the lines.

this loader does not have a lift pump its all in one called a governor asm for our engine code
do you know of a way to check for proper pressure and where do i hook up at and what kind of pressure should i see

Yes, I am aware of the governor assembly. I have 20+ years on these engines and have repaired the fuel systems since they were first released.

The front section of the governor is called the,

7E-8794 DRIVE GP-GOV & TRANSFER PUMP
and is,
PART OF(###) ###-####(###) ###-####(###) ###-####GOVERNOR GP-UNIT INJECTOR

In this housing is the transfer pump (lift pump) that supplies the fuel to the injectors. 10 psi for cranking and 50 psi for normal operation.

I believe your engine has a pair of filters were one is installed upside down.

A steel tube connects from the transfer pump outlet fitting to the filter base elbow. The fuel passes through the bypass check valve and then the filters. The fuel exits a Tee fitting to a tube that goes to the back of the cylinder head and supplies the injectors.

The tee fitting from the filter base has a plug installed in the end of it face outward. This is the test point for checking fuel pressure to the injectors.

Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

on this loader the line goes to a single filter / primer housing on a bracket and the up to the front of the engine where the gov, is then to the head its a common rail system as per our engine configuration i did not see a valve / test port on this engine but will look again the pump / gov is not serviced as a unit because of our engine arrangement because of engine break point as per catwe have the(###) ###-####pump and only one filter when following the line from the tank they go to the filter then to a fitting at the front of the pump then to the head i will look again on monday and i will look for the test port at that time will let you know then thanks as stated before poor throttle response as it warm,s up to no throttle at all when hot and after shut down for more than 1 hour or so must hand prim to restart

Thanks, ***** ***** right. I double-checked my info and this engine is a single filter design and it has the external bypass valve.

Your dealer is correct about the unit is serviced as a group and no REMAN options are available for this engine due to the different fuel settings for different machines.

However, you only need to replace the transfer pump in the drive section to repair a low fuel pressure issue.

This is done without removing the governor or requiring any special tooling. No timing concerns and no special settings. It is just replacing parts.

Below is an image of the drive section at the front of the governor. I have highlighted the parts needed to rebuild the transfer pump to get the best pressure and the longest life. Be sure to note the direction of the small check valves as their main function is to build pump pressure.

Also attached is an image of your fuel lines. You need to replace item #23, the bypass check valve as they are also known for causing low fuel pressure. The Tee adapter is called out as item #17. This is what should be on your engine. If it is not, replace the elbow and add this tee, then you will have the proper location to read the fuel pressure to the injectors. If your issue is low fuel pressure and you have replaced the hand primer and cleaned out any trash in the water separator fittings, replacing the parts I have described will make this machine run again.

Once you are satisfied the fuel pressure is correct, then look at the return flow through a clear tube. Use a long section and make a loop to cause the fuel to backup in the line. This will help you see any air coming from the fuel system. If you see a large amount of bubbles in the return line and it increases when you add a load to the machine, the problem is the injectors are loose. One or more is not sealing in the cups and is allowing air to enter the fuel supply. This repair will require special tooling to replace the injectors and repair any damaged cups.

If you have good fuel pressure and no air from the return fuel line, then a sluggish throttle could be caused by the governor. However, the fuel control rack and injector control rods are also part of the fuel control and may need repair, replacement, or a tune-up and rack synchronization may be needed to correct the problem.

Replacing the governor and setting the fuel control rack will require the use of special tooling to set the fuel system to the engine performance specifications.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician