Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a Cat TH220B that doesn't run with full power, blowing…

Customer Question
Have a Cat TH220B that...
Have a Cat TH220B that doesn't run with full power, blowing white smoke when driving up a steep grade. Transmission temperature gets high very quickly, faster with more frequent shifts and harder acceleration.
Has the following codes:(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####08(###) ###-####09(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####03(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####02(###) ###-####04(###) ###-####09(###) ###-####09
(###) ###-####10(###) ###-####04(###) ###-####03
(###) ###-####07(###) ###-####11The 0100 codes were triggered by a loose connection on the harness for the oil pressure sensor. A few weeks ago, we were struggling with blowing a lot of white smoke and loosing power to the point of stalling out. We reprimed the fuel system and the performance improved. We pulled these codes off the instrument display panel, so I'm not sure if some may be inactive, or how long old codes may be stored. The 1684 codes were probably from us working with the fuel system. All the other codes have ECM failure as one possible cause, I'm wondering if that would be our problem, and if there is more we can do to verify. Also wondering what it would take to program a new ECM after installation. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/14/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The codes posted for the machine controller ECM 039 will not cause an issue with the engine power.

The oil pressure (100) codes can if it is active. Since you are sure it was cause by a repair, monitor the display to see if they are becoming active when the problem is present.

The same for the pump codes (1684). They are not an issue unless they are active when the engine is running.

To eliminate any possible issue, check fuel pressure from the lift pump to the injection pump. It needs to be 7 psi. Also check for air in the lines. Old hoses, loose fittings or connections can cause air to enter the system. Install a clear hose near the injection pump to see if air is in the supply.

A weak worn out lift pump can be part of the problem. If you are not seeing good pressure and air is not present and the lines are not restricted, replace the lift pump.

Once you are certain no air is in the system and the supply pressure is good but the pump codes are still active, the injection pump must be replaced and it must be timed correctly or the engine will run even worse.

Below are the list of code in your machine. The machine ECM codes have the FMI list at the bottom to describe the failure mode.

THE FIRST THREE DIGITS ARE THE MODULE ID (MID)

*039 IS THE MACHINE ECM *036 IS THE ENGINE ECM

(###) ###-####02 TRANSMISSION CONTROL SHIFT LEVER(###) ###-####08 ALTERNATOR R TERMINAL(###) ###-####09 DISPLAY MODULE(###) ###-####02 SWITCH STEERING MODE(###) ###-####03 KEY START SWITCH(###) ###-####02 POSITION SENSOR FORWARD BACKWARD LEVER OF THE JOYSTICK(###) ###-####02 POSITION SONSOR LEFT RIGHT OF THE JOYSTICK(###) ###-####02 POSITION SENSOR LEFT THUMB LEVER OF THE JOYSTICK(###) ###-####02 POSITION SWITCH AUXILIARY RIGHT THUMB OF THE JOYSTICK(###) ###-####04 10 VOLT PHS POWER SUPPLY(###) ###-####09 PHS MODULE 1(###) ###-####09 PHS MODULE 2

0100-03 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor voltage above normal

0100-04 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor voltage below normal

0100-10 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor abnormal rate of change

(###) ###-####07 Fuel Injection Pump not responding properly (###) ###-####11 Fuel Injection Pump other failure mode

THE LAST TWO DIGITS ARE THE FMI

FMI "Failure Description"

00 "Data valid but above normal operating range"

01 "Data valid but below normal operating range"

02 "Data erratic, intermittent or incorrect"

03 "Voltage above normal or shorted high"

04 "Voltage below normal or shorted low"

05 "Current below normal or open circuit"

06 "Current above normal or grounded circuit"

07 "Mechanical system not responding properly"

08 "Abnormal frequency, pulse, or period"

09 "Abnormal update"

10 "Abnormal rate of change"

11 "Failure mode not identifiable"

12 "Bad device or component"

13 "Out of calibration"

14 N/A

15 N/A

16 "Parameter not available"

17 "Module not responding"

18 "Sensor supply fault"

19 "Condition not met"

20 N/A

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.
If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.
Thanks again, Don
CATMASTERTECH

I replaced the fuel lines, and the engine runs smoother now, but still bogs down when the transmission temp gets high.Do you know what codes are displayed on the instrument display panel? Is it only active codes, or all stored codes? How long after a repair does a code remain active? I don't have the ET, so I can't check or clear codes there.When we purchased the machine, it would barely drive, and the transmission temperature would rise very rapidly. The torque converter inlet relief valve was destroyed, so we replaced it. It runs for much longer now before getting too hot, but still not satisfactory.There are two other issues we are having as well.When the hydraulic oil temperature gets into the normal range and a moderate load is on the machine (aprox 50% of rated capacity), the boom will not raise when the joystick is pulled back. When combined with another function (tilt in/out or boom extend/retract), the boom will raise.Also, after running for about 20-30 minutes, the brakes will slowly lock up, and the brake pedal will be hard. Turning off the machine and turning it on again after 10-15 seconds resolves the problem.
I see now that active codes will have an "A" displayed in the left display on the instrument panel. There are currently no active codes.

Is the transmission overfilling? Do you have problems with the level constantly changing in the tank?

Any time the code is displayed on the monitor with the letter A at the beginning, that is an active code. It should only take a minute for an active code to become logged if the status changes.

Sounds like you have some serious issues with the oil. Has the filter been cut open and inspected for debris?

If you are saying the pump is under load when it shouldn't be, that is a sign trash is in the valves. You may also have sticking flow control valves or resolver problems.

Then you are talking about brake problems too. That is a completely separate issue and could be a priority problem or just the master cylinder is failing.

All of these problems will take weeks to troubleshoot and isolate each issue to make repairs. Plus parts and seals to check the items as you disassemble and clean will start adding up too.

All of this together is likely why it was sold and not fixed before. If you are planning on making all these repairs, it would be worth the investment for a factory manual.

You are doing great working with the dash but, this will require lots of testing to get all of these problems straight.

I have the factory manual, but I'd like some advice on where to begin troubleshooting. Our main concern is with the transmission overheating.We purchased the telehandler last August, and changed all the fluids then. The transmission/hydraulic fluid was dark, but we didn't notice any bits of metal or other debris. We changed the filters as well, and I cut the hydraulic filter open today and was surprised how clean it was, no metal shards or debris. However, we don't know how long that filter was on the machine, the previous owner had it for about a year before selling it because of the issues it was having. He did not use it much at all, and I don't know if he changed the filter when he first bought it.Rechecked the torque converter inlet relief valve today, and it appears to be operating correctly.

Ok, great. That is very helpful to have. I would first look at the suction lines to the pump and transmission. I recently had a machine that had a pinhole in the suction line and it was making the machine do all kinds of crazy stuff due to so much air in the oil.

I think the manual has a section for a scavenge pump. I would look for the suction screen in the transmission and see if it has a level to check for overfilling. I am not sure if this transmission is like the larger machines but, I think it is the same.

If a transmission is overfull, it will cause heating from the gears trying to turn in the excess oil and lugging against the converter. Also, check the engine speed when stalled in high gear. Check this to the book reference for transmission stall speed. If it is higher than spec', the converter could be worn and bypassing.

Also, if the engine is lugging under load from the hydraulic pump, this could add to the problem. Check standby pressure of the pump to see if it will return to the normal standby pressure around 300 psi. If it is stuck higher, then a valve could be sticking in the main control valve.

The manual didn’t have much on the scavenger pump at all, and I wasn’t able to locate it. The schematic shows it dumping back into the tank, but I could only find four other lines that returned to the tank. One from the hydraulic pump, one from each brake, and one from the top of the transmission housing.I still need to clean and inspect the suction lines more closely for pinhole leaks. Is there a screen or filter inside the tank that may be clogged?I also still need to get a pressure gauge and fittings so I can check the hydraulic pump pressure and the transmission test points.

Any luck on this? I missed your post and just want to keep the question going.

What is the serial number for this machine?

Do you have the serial number?

SLA00503

Ok, let me dig into this some.