Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 257B that turns over but does not start. I've

Customer Question
I have a 257B...

I have a 257B that turns over but does not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I've replace the transfer pump, fuel shut off solenoid and battery. Ive checked all the fuses also. Slk07800

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing myself. I've replace the transfer pump, fuel shut off solenoid and battery. Ive checked all the fuses also.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm lost on what issue to look for next

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/8/2020
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Ok

No smoke from the exhaust when cranking. and you do have fuel up to the injection pump? Did you feel the link at the solenoid retracts from? It has to push in and spring back to the run position when the solenoid retracts, If the link is stuck in the off position, you will get no fuel to the injector nozzles.

There smoke from the exhaust. There is fuel up to injectors. I cracked the injectors to make sure. Brand new solenoid and it has power to it and the plunger did function before installing it.

Was the fuel squirting at the high-pressure lines to the nozzles, or just dribbling?

It did squirt out somewhat.

Glow plug engine? Ate the glow plugs heating up?

heating up

Is fuel quality good? When did it last run?

New fuel Feb 13th and that was the last day I used it. It ran perfect at that time.I also checked fuel filter and that was clean

Stopped after it was fueled? Fuel was diesel and not gas? ???

Definitely diesel. I filled up that morning and shut it down with 1/3 of a tank left in it.

It just seems odd that it now will not fire. Have you tried a little starting fluid to see if it fires?

a small amout.
No luck though

It did squirt out somewhat. ?? Go back to the injector lines and loosen them and see if you get squirting from each fitting. I think the injection pump is stuck in the off position, and when the fuel solenoid retracts, the link does not follow.

Ok
I will try that

OK>