Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Tilt not working on D6H dozer; the twin tilt cylinders are…

Customer Question
Tilt not working on...

Tilt not working on D6H dozer; the twin tilt cylinders are both in collapsed position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

See above; what can cause these cylinders to both be in collapsed (rod in) position ? can it be internal cylinder piston seals leaking, or something wrong in control valve ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Construction Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/6/2020
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 2 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get you back to work quickly. I see no one could help you earlier, and I hope this is not too late to be helpful. Please note that I am not set up for phone calls, you can ignore the site pop-ups. We can post to this chat as much as you like to work through this issue. All experts are not employees, and we work from home in our spare time to answer questions.

Yes, I would first suspect a bad packing seal on a piston or a loose piston retaining bolt.

Have the lines been changed recently? Was the air purged from the system?

What is the complete serial number of this tractor? Is this the original blade that came on the machine?

Thank you for responding. The angle dozer with double tilt cylinders is original equipment on this D6H serial number 9LK00483. No hoses have been removed in past few years; no repairs or opening up of hydraulic system recently. Hydraulic oil level is good. I used the dozer last fall for 100 hours or more with no problems, but it did seem the dozer would not tilt as far as it should, and gradually got worse (less travel on the tilt). Now this spring it will not tilt at all, and I see that the 2 tilt cylinders are both pretty much collapsed (rods of the cylinders almost fully retracted). Do I look for problems within the 2 tilt cylinders, or problems in the control valve mechanism ?? I believe the 2 tilt cylinders should be about midway on the stroke when dozer is level, so that one can retract and the other can extend to tilt the dozer.Please see my response on the computers

I am looking at this machine build ticket to see how it is setup.

I just wanted to see if any options were shown for a special dual tilt control. I have seen this only on the D10 and D11. I do not see any other control for the tilt function other than the single control section of the three section control valve that is show for your machine serial number.

I would suspect the issue will be in the tilt cylinders.

Are you saying the tilt control feels dead or can you hear any oil move when you operate the tilt? Have you tried holding the lift applied and the tilt applied at the same time to see if it will move at all?

This tractor is equipped with a piston pump and the valve sections use shuttle resolvers to control load signal for the pump.

If these are leaking, the section will be weak until you operate two functions together.

OK I appreciate that help. I will try doing the 2 functions together. Thank You.

Glad I could help.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, if you do need further help please let me know.

If you are satisfied with my service, please take a moment to provide a rating.

Thanks again, Don

CATMASTERTECH

Ya ok Don. Let me go experiment with it when I have some time. Then I'll be able to tell you if it was helpful. Have a good week.

Ok, no problem. This question will remain open a few days.

If the cylinders don't show signs of bypassing and the function is still week. I would next check the plugs for the relief valve location to see if they have failed seals as well.

These plugs and shuttle valves can be accessed without removing the valve on most machines but sometimes a line or hose may be in the way.

Don

55357;�

You're welcome!